Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What lt1 camaro suspension parts make tha biggest difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What lt1 camaro suspension parts make tha biggest difference?

I want to start working on suspension. What parts should I start on first that will give me THA most bang for my bucks..
Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been covered many many times. What are you looking to improve? Shocks are usually the best upgrade for a street car, something like Bilsteins or Konis make a big difference, but there are many other pieces that can improve traction for straight line performance. I recommend doing a search, and also giving Sam Strano a call to get some more advice, along with giving some more details about your car.

Last edited by 99FormulaM6r; 12-18-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typed it on my phone
Old 12-18-2010, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for tha responce.. I plann on adding more details about my lt1.. Todays acually my first day on here.. But i have pretty much full bolt ons.. Cold air intake, throddle body, headers, full exaust (magnaflow), ls1 rear end with 3:42 greas..

This car is some what of my daily driver and i tend to line it up at a light from time to time.. All i wish to do is put tha few hourses i have to the rear wheels.. So suspension is tha way imma go for now..
Old 12-18-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, that helps a bit more.

I would definitely recommend shocks if you're running it on the street (or otherwise, lol) and a few other pieces if you're planning on taking it to the track occasionally.

So...
1) Shocks. I'd say Bilsteins or Koni's, both really sharpen up the ride, make the car handle better, along with making it much more stable on the street without hurting ride (in many cases helping it). Bilstein's are quite a bit cheaper than the Koni's, but Koni's will work better with lowering springs (if that's in your future) and are adjustable so you can get your car to ride how you want it to.
2) LCA's. If you have any traction issues, these can really help out. I'm a fan of UMI parts, but many on here also like BMR. The choice is yours really, can't go wrong with either.

Those are the big two if you're looking for street and a little help hooking. If you have some more money/want to add more pieces, there's also:
-LCA relocation brackets. If your lower control arms aren't parallel to the road and point up at the rear side it can really hurt your traction.
-Torque arm. If you're running on the street, I'd recommend the full length, as it doesn't really seem to have any drawbacks to stock and can still give you more traction.
-TA relocation bracket to prevent the tailshaft of your transmission from breaking (where it's mounted stock). If you're mostly a street person and take it to the track occasionally, it's probably not needed, but it's a good insurance piece

So yeah....I'm no expert, but from what I've read/experienced, this is a good place to start, depending on your budget. Remember, tires make just about the biggest difference in traction, so make sure to look at those as well. Also, there are other suspension pieces (PHB, sway bars SFC's, etc.) that can help depending on what you want to do with the car (PHB can tighten up the rear end, and also you can get adjustable ones to center your rear if you lower, and sway bars can really help improve the handling of your car or even the launching, depending on the sizes used, and SFC's help tighten up your body, but I'd really recommend shocks first as you may see that SFC's aren't really necessary).
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...eal-world.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...view-long.html

^^good starting point to read up on.

throddle body = no such thing
throttle body = an actual part

LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Appriciate tha feedback 99formulam6r
Old 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you the original owner? Do you know if all the parts currently on the car are all original, or are there any aftermarket parts already installed?

How many miles are on the car? If it's more that 70-80,000, I'd be looking at ball joints, tie rod ends, and ALL the bushings, before looking to "mod" the car...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

No im not tha original owner but i've had the car for about a year.. Ive looked at the balljoints an tha main bushings an yea i see they deff need to b changed.. Thankz

Quick Reply: What lt1 camaro suspension parts make tha biggest difference?