Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those with DA rod-ended LCA's...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those with DA rod-ended LCA's...

Do your's wobble under varying load conditions? By wobble, I mean bounce around the center axis from side to side off of the spacers or whatever mounting hardware you have them installed with.

The Kevlar material was about gone on my old rod ends and was fraying outside of the rod end. There was a lot of play between the sphere and housing. It was to the point where if I coasted, cruised, light load conditions, etc., the car would bounce back and forth like gears that had a pattern too loose. I replaced them with some comparable Jeg's 3 piece rod ends and they are super noisy in this situation.

I expect the loud harshness when I hit a bump in the road, etc., BUT whenever I coast or start to apply the brakes, it seems like they rotate about their center axis and bounce from side to side off of the spacers. There is absolutely no fore and aft play in the LCAs and I have 1/2" Grade 8 hardware holding them down tight. This is the only movement that I can think of that is making this noise. When I have the car in the air, I can easily twist them around their center axis.

Is it possible the rear is attempting to move fore and aft, as physics suggests it should, and the only release of that energy is to twist the LCA around their center axis? Is it more exaggerated because I have a stock style T/A that slips fore and aft off the transmission mount? Would getting a solid transmission mount style T/A help to eliminate this?

The noise I am hearing sounds like it is coming from right behind me, and a rapid little ball peen hammer is banging on the subframe connectors. The old worn out rod ends never made this noise, perhaps that's because they were too worn? Also, the LCA's were a little uneven when I took them off to install the new rod ends. I made them identical upon re-assembly. Could the small offset of the rear axle with the old rod ends prevent them from getting in this predicament?

OR, am I crazy and this is just part of driving a car with rod-ended LCA's?