Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock shocks, what springs?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock shocks, what springs?

I have some money finaly to throw into my car and im pretty excited. I dont want to blow it all on shocks like im sure everyone is gunna say after seaching through alot of threads. Some member on here actually gave me his old shocks after going koni/strano so im just waiting to put them in. What are my (good) options with springs and how much is the whole shebang gunna cost? Right now i figure: springs 200, adjustable panhard 100, LCA brackets 50, borrow spring compressor (installation) free, alignment 80? I dont know if all is nessisary or if i am leaving anything out.. Also i havent heard anyone talk about camber kits so im guessing no one does that. I understand the reasons why the sportlines are a bad shock, is there anything with a higher spring rate that still drops a good amout? Also, is it going to be pointless to do on stock 16s? Any picks of lowered on 16? Been looking around for peoples used springs.. What about sportlines in the front and prokit rear then the sag will be accounted for later..? So many questions..
Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
I have some money finaly to throw into my car and im pretty excited. I dont want to blow it all on shocks like im sure everyone is gunna say after seaching through alot of threads. Some member on here actually gave me his old shocks after going koni/strano so im just waiting to put them in. What are my (good) options with springs and how much is the whole shebang gunna cost? Right now i figure: springs 200, adjustable panhard 100, LCA brackets 50, borrow spring compressor (installation) free, alignment 80? I dont know if all is nessisary or if i am leaving anything out.. Also i havent heard anyone talk about camber kits so im guessing no one does that. I understand the reasons why the sportlines are a bad shock, is there anything with a higher spring rate that still drops a good amout? Also, is it going to be pointless to do on stock 16s? Any picks of lowered on 16? Been looking around for peoples used springs.. What about sportlines in the front and prokit rear then the sag will be accounted for later..? So many questions..
it seems you know what you want, so money is the thing here. sportlines are springs, not shocks. Stay away from sportlines, and mix with prokit just not balance will handel like ***. On the 16 its ok but would be better with 17's. And for springs you know its strano, bmr, and mybe slp.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Oops lol yeah i ment to say spring..
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

What do you do or want to do with your car? Just an odd question I have before you throw money at your car
Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Umm, idk haha i dont take it to the track..i want to, but never do really. I just have a good time slaming it around town, racing friends, drifting when its wet out. Thats what i do, what i want to do.. im not exactly sure there are many things i want to do to it, in the suspension aspect though: lower it & remove body roll in corners
Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

definitely stay away from the pro kit.....i trimmed the fronts to make it sit like sportlines, but the rears bottom out if you hit a bump in the road.....the spring rates are way too light.....i put alot of work into making it sit right, it looks good but the ride kind-of sucks.....get the strano's, that's what i wish i would've gotten........if you don't care about the ride and want the lowest possible, get sportline fronts and trim down a set of bmr rears
Old 12-28-2010, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Well if you plan on drag racing I would keep the rear spring and shocks and do the heater hose mod in the back and put lowering springs or shock and springs in the front. My friend runs low 10's with stock shocks with eibach lowering spring's in the back and QA1 single adjustable's with a 300lb spring (changing to strange double adjustable soon).
Stock shocks, what springs?-ta.jpgThis is another one of my friend's and he has heater hose in the back with koni SA and eibach pro kit spring in the front and as you see it looks good. I also have heater hose in the back and soon buying strange Double adjustable's for the front.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Teching In

I've got factory decarbon shocks (front and rear) and the factory springs with 5000 miles on them. There yours for $100.00 plus shipping
Old 12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

^ Ah no thanks man mainly looking at lowering here.. that is a pretty good deal though for 5000 miles.

Any other options? Also back to my other question what is lowering going to involve nessesities and strongly advised material?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With stock shocks then stick with stock springs until you have enough for a nice set of shocks. How low do you want to go? Look at strano or BMR springs. Again get some good shocks for a set of lowering springs.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by ram59
I've got factory decarbon shocks (front and rear) and the factory springs with 5000 miles on them. There yours for $100.00 plus shipping

I might be interested, send me a message!

Lol ive got an eibach pro lowering kit, i freaking hate it.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Umm, idk haha i dont take it to the track..i want to, but never do really. I just have a good time slaming it around town, racing friends, drifting when its wet out. Thats what i do, what i want to do.. im not exactly sure there are many things i want to do to it, in the suspension aspect though: lower it & remove body roll in corners
So you have stock replacement shocks then or what? Regardless its a waste of time putting those on your car with any lowering spring, its true what everyone says, the stock decarbon shocks are horrible. You may not think so until you get a nice set of shocks on your car and realize what you've been missing. You can lower it, and add swaybars to help with body roll but it won't get rid of the loose, jello-ish feeling (it will only add stiffness, yet still have a strange loose feeling) because thats the shocks not doing their job.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

^Makes sense.. Yeah a member on here went to koni strano and gave me some gaurdien shocks for the rear which are the ones shot on mine. I think im just gunna cut my springs till i can aford the koni strano. If i absolutely cant stand it ill get stranos but i dont think putting money into much else would be worth it. Maybe it will take some roll out but yeah i hear what your saying with the shocks.. also keeping an eye out for people selling kyb's or somethin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock shocks, what springs?