Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

DTC C0051 ABS woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC C0051 ABS woes

Hey everyone,

My 2000 Z has been pretty reliable until recently, when it rains it pours I guess.

Yesterday, my ABS INOP and ASR OFF light came on, then off, then back on again. The lights were on again today. I hooked up my scanner and got the C0051 DTC. With some research, I found it was the RR circuit. I found on one website that the wheel speed sensors should measure between 850 and 1350 ohms resistance. I checked both my rear sensors and both checked out right around 1200 ohms. I then checked the pigtails that plug into the sensors, the rr barely moved the needle on my multi meter, and the lr measured around 20,000. I followed the rr wires up to a bulkhead on the trunk floor, but could not find any frayed/pinched/etc wires.

Has anyone ran into this problem before? I have not had a lot of time to research the problem, I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction... Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a test to ohm out the harness side/module connected. Not always good either but no biggie.

You can check A/C voltage at the sensor connector while turning the wheel.
Compair both rear sensors, same speed rotation etc. The faster you spin the more volatge they make.

Also can disconnect the ABS HCU connector & ohm the harness to the back of the car. To make sure you dont have a rotted wire. Each R/R WSS wire ohmed out between each end of the harness should have very low resistance less than 5 ohms.
5 would be pretty high actually.
Common for water intrusion to cause issues under car end of harness. At least it is up here in the love to dump tons of salt on the roads rust belt.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks wrencher, I will test that out after work.

Quick Reply: DTC C0051 ABS woes