Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Waht is the BEST Stock SPRING/shock setup for handling and ride????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waht is the BEST Stock SPRING/shock setup for handling and ride????

I am looking to put my car back to stock height and have full BMR on the car. What Spring rate or compnay and shock give a nice ride and can corner well. It would be nice to launch as I have forced induction with 315's...then again is it really possible to have all worlds. I am looking onto Qa1, Konis or even the LG Fbody setup but is a pretty penny. I have a gut feelign a stock spring rate with a sportier shock will suffice.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking towards handling, don't go for QA1's....or any drag shock for that matter.
I'm unfamiliar with the LG setup, but I'm running Koni's + stock springs and I think it's a great mix of handling and stability with great ride quality. There's also a member on here with a FI setup (I can't remember who) who cuts 1.5x 60's with his Koni SA setup, so it's still possible to launch. Plus, you can lower the car slightly (.75"/.5" front/back) with the Koni setup and stock springs.

Personally, I think it's the perfect setup for a sports car....slight drop, great ride quality, and improved handling/stability.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you're going stock height with stock springs, I'd say Bilsteins. IMO, I think they give a nicer ride than the Konis. Konis may be worth extra coin if you're lowering. Otherwise Bilstein. Actually, a pretty good combo, given the current valving on rear Bilsteins and the fact that Konis are on sale, is to use Bilsteins up front and 3rd gen Konis on the rear. About $450 at current pricing. That's what I have on my M6 car and it's really nice.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

I am running a bilstein BTS system which lowers the car at least an inch with I believe Eibachs. SOunds to me like if I put the stock springs back in I could be set. Did not know the QA1's were so bad for daily driving as they can be adjusted and preset! I saw three spring rates on their kit.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Sounds good. Put the stock springs back on and see how you like it. If you decide you want faster rebound control than the Bilsteins are giving you, then you can consider stepping up to Konis.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best Handling with out any
sacrifice in ride quality:
Bilsteins
SLP Springs
35mm Hollow front bar
std size rear bar

Best Handling and looking (ride height) Setup:
Konis
Hyperco springs
35 MM hollow front bar
std size rear bar
this set up will take the bumps harder but will handle
better than the above on smooth roads
Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

1LE Springs - you can't go wrong.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Konis and 1le springs.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
If you're going stock height with stock springs, I'd say Bilsteins. IMO, I think they give a nicer ride than the Konis. Konis may be worth extra coin if you're lowering. Otherwise Bilstein. Actually, a pretty good combo, given the current valving on rear Bilsteins and the fact that Konis are on sale, is to use Bilsteins up front and 3rd gen Konis on the rear. About $450 at current pricing. That's what I have on my M6 car and it's really nice.
I like the idea of using Bilsteins up front with the Konis on the rear. I have an '02 Z28 Convertible and am looking for a setup with a nicer ride with good handling and it sounds like this might be what I'm looking for.

On some of the vendor sites they are listing Bilstein SLP or Bilstein HD shocks are the SLP ones the way to go?

I've found a couple Konis for the rear. Are the 30-1265 Sport's the ones you have on your M6 car?

On a car with 100,000 miles is it advisable to replace the factory springs also? I'm happy with the stock ride and handling for the most part, but am looking to do an upgrade while replacing the worn out factory shocks.

Last edited by kevinkr; 04-07-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by kevinkr
I like the idea of using Bilsteins up front with the Konis on the rear. I have an '02 Z28 Convertible and am looking for a setup with a nicer ride with good handling and it sounds like this might be what I'm looking for. On some of the vendor sites they are listing Bilstein SLP or Bilstein HD shocks are the SLP ones the way to go?
I've found a couple Konis for the rear. Are the 30-1265 Sport's the ones you have on your M6 car?
On a car with 100,000 miles is it advisable to replace the factory springs also? I'm happy with the stock ride and handling for the most part, but am looking to do an upgrade while replacing the worn out factory shocks.
If you search around on here, you'll find that HD or SLP Bilsteins are pretty much the same. Go with the better price.
Yep, I have the 30-1265's. Strano has them now for $100 each - cheaper than I paid! Unless your springs are visibly sagging, they should be fine.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not anything new to recommend. Bilstein or Konis with stock springs and perhaps Strano bars is a good combo. You will get a bit more suspension travel and a lower spring rate with the stock springs which is why I would recommend them as well. The car can be a very competent handling car it you put decent shocks on it, even with an otherwise stock suspension.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, that really helps a lot!

I'll go with the Bilsteins (HD or SLP) up front and the Koni 30-1265's on the rear with the factory springs. I'll definitely get an order in to Strano Performance before the Koni sale ends.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Would the stockers work well with some bilsteins? Or are most people happier with Konis.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

People swear by Strano springs and Konis, I have no doubt they're the best setup for handling, but if you want ride comfort I would say stick with stock springs... and if you aren't too worried about adjustability and want to save some coin then Bilsteins aren't bad either.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Teching In

I replaced the springs and shocks in my 2002 Z28 convertible daily driver with over 100,000 miles and the ride quality is like a night and day difference compared to what it was like before. The harsh and loud clunk coming from the front passenger side is completely gone and the ride is so much nicer overall and handling is much better too. My goal with this being a daily driver was to keep the stock ride comfort level.

With spending money on labor to have a shop replace the shocks I really didn't want to put the old springs back in. I couldn't find any sponsers that were selling new factory springs, however as luck would have it Amazon was selling new Delco springs with free shipping for an average of about $30/spring.

Here is a complete list of all of the parts I used for reference:

MOOG K6516 Strut Mount Driver Side (1)
MOOG K6517 Strut Mount Passenger Side (1)
MOOG K80927 Coil Spring Seat (2)
MOOG K6573 Coil Spring Insulator (2)

ACDelco 45H0233 Professional Front Spring Set
ACDelco 45H3025 Coil Spring (Rear)

Koni 30-1265 Sport Rear Shocks
BSN-24-024068 - Bilstein Front Shocks, Non-adjustable, Heavy Duty Series

Thanks to everyone in the forums here for their posts and contributions, it made researching this project a lot easier. Especially sorting out which strut mounts to go with.

Right now the car has 245/50/16 Kumo KU21 tires and the ride overall is still comfortable even over rough roads with this setup.

Before replacing the springs and shocks the fender height on each corner of the car was off by upwards of a full inch compared to the other corners. Now with the new springs and shocks the ride height is the same all the way around. (I have a 12 bolt Moser in the rear).

The only one thing that I noticed which may be a bit different from before is under hard acceleration and/or cornering it feels like the rear of the car drops down a little bit. I'm wondering if the 45H3025 rear coil springs I used might be a bit different than the factory ones. Or maybe that's just the way the Koni shocks are with the factory (max. soft) adjustment setting. Or perhaps another part of the rear suspension is worn out as there still is a little bit of a clunking noise in the rear over bumps.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

I have koni DA and 1le springs on my SS, 6 speed car. Handles great, adjust it however you like for the street or track. Have been 1.54 60ft at the strip. They were more money, but to me it was well worth it. I prolly would have used the strano springs, but i didn't want to lower the car. Long tubes and true duals are low enough already.

Ryan
Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kevin,

Thanks for the parts list and feedback. I'll probably just use Bilstein HDs all around so as not to worry about mismatched damping rates.

Now, my question... What front spring should I use if I have an extra 180 lbs or so in the front with an LSX block, dry sump system, pro-charger, intercooler, etc? I also want to retain the stock ride height.

Quick Reply: Waht is the BEST Stock SPRING/shock setup for handling and ride????