Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering Springs Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs Question

So the other day I bought a 2001 Z28 M6 with lowering springs already installed. I had the car on a lift today to do something with the exhaust tips and found it did have them as the person I bought it from didnt mention that. So my question is why am I hitting on every little bump. The tire hits the underside of the wheel well and scrapes while turning. I also drag the LT'S and underside of the front bumber alot. Small to medium potholes make it hit hard as do the lips on driveways. Do you think the spring rate is wrong or the shocks are worn and not holding the way they should. The car is running the SS 10 spoke wheels and 275-40-17 tires. Any input would be apreciated. NOTE: Because I didnt buy or install the lowering springs I dont know what rate or length they are. All i know is they are red and have even coil, meaning they arent any tighter coiled at the bottom. Thanks
Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds pretty low if you are scraping that often. Post a pic of the car so we can see the stance. What color are your shocks? And what brand LT's do you have?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics of springs?

If the tire hits the underside of the wheel well it could mean that your rear isn't centered (a side effect of lowering) or I suppose that your bump stops are gone. As far as the rest, sounds like a product of crappy springs + worn shocks.

Take some pics of your setup so we can see what you're working with.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

I will have to check but I'm sure the shocks are red also. The lt's are pacesetter with 3 inch collectors and 3 inch ory. Ill get pics soon but the clearance of tire to fender well is tight.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the shocks red or orange?....not trying to call you stupid, lol, but if they're orange they're the stock DeCarbons.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Teching In

They are stock orange on rear but I think they are red on front. Gonna check to be sure and post pics. I only seem to be having a problem on the right front. Other than dragging the headers but don't think theirs a fix for that on lowered cars.