Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension "build" questions/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension "build" questions/suggestions

Well I started going back to school this semster and had to take a cut in hours at my job so I figure rather than trying to still put money into my motor and maybe ruining it, has 150k, I would take this year to build up the suspension since the car will be paid off at the end of the year.

Right now I am having problems somewhere in the front, some sort of rattling noise when I go over little bumps. I think this could be the sway bar because when I went to inspect I noticed one of the bolts holding the bar to the front had broken off at the head. For now I have ordered new bolts from GM to replace the old ones and purchased new end links while i'm at it.

So here's my question...what would you all suggest I do to the suspension to prepare it/give it a little bit better ride? The car is a daily driver so i'm not looking for anything drastic and it maybe sees the track once or twice a year. Next year is when I plan to start going into the motor or possibly replacing it
Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Start out with a set of Bilstein or koni shocks with strano springs that will be the best bang for your buck. A set of LCA with relocation brackets would make a huge difference in traction. then move on the subframe connectors also a huge bang of your buck will increase the handling and overall stiffness of the car. but before you do any of that fix your sway bar!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes^ basically all that lol
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6speedt/a
Start out with a set of Bilstein or koni shocks with strano springs that will be the best bang for your buck. A set of LCA with relocation brackets would make a huge difference in traction. then move on the subframe connectors also a huge bang of your buck will increase the handling and overall stiffness of the car. but before you do any of that fix your sway bar!!!
hah...yes the sway bar is getting fixed this week, picking up the bolts for the front mounts tonight.

I do aready ave the bilstein shocks and was looking at the strano springs, so at least i'm on the right track there. As far as the subframe connectors would you recommend bolt in or weld on? I did also put on a set of zr1 wheels with 315's in the back, will more than likely swap out for 285/95 when those are gone though, so I was possibly looking into a panhard bar as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

most get the bolt in connectors then have them welded on later
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

o ok...that makes sense.
well seems like i have a good idea of the route i need to go and also seems like strano has just about all of this at a good price.

Quick Reply: Suspension "build" questions/suggestions