Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

testing wheel speed sensors w/ mulitmeter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default testing wheel speed sensors w/ mulitmeter

car is 99ws6 110K miles

the ABS sys has been intermitantly malfunctioning (ABS,brake lights up on dash) I removed the rear wheel speed sensors and they where covered w/ brake pad particals, cleaned then off w/ a clean cloth lights on dash dissappeared now are back.

second fix was to replace one of the blow taillight bulbs in third taillight that did'nt last to long maybe a week.

I would like to test my wheel speed sensors. I am thinking they operate off of resistance.

like if car is stopped sensor is sending 0 ohms to ECM when car is in motion sensor starts increasing the amount of resistance so the ECM can now calculate.

My ? w/ wheel off ground can I spin the wheel and mearsure the resistance
I'm thinking the faster the wheel spins the higher the resistance then when wheel stops resistance should go back to 0.

? is this the proceedure for testing wheel speed sensors?

I am one step away from sending my ABS brake control modules relay section out for a rebuild.

edit I have read that the rear WSS are usalley the problem I haven't removed and inspected the front yet.

Thanks for any helpfull advice

Last edited by badmfkr; 04-15-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Whenever I want to find out how a sensor works and how to test it, I go to the Wells Counterpoint articles. They are great! Here is the one for ABS sensors: http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/counterp_v11_i4_2007.pdf

Looks like they use a rotating magnet and create a waveform. They definitely don't go off of resistance like a non-rotating sensor. In order to test, you'll need special equipment. For the fronts, I'd expect that you'll have to replace the hub/bearings way before the sensor will go bad on you.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly I have this problem too. Car only has 35000 MI. I ohm checked all four. The front ones are close and the rear are close to the same value, but different. Can't remember what they were right now. No codes in ECM either.Hmmmm
Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

about a foot or two into the wire from the speed sensor is another connector, four prong gray i think (at least these are in the rear, cant remember the fronts), which connects it to the body and back to where ever... these were dirty on mine and gave me the same lights, and are right around the inner wheel. maf cleaner works great too to get down in there...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I'll check those out. I never had a problem until I swapped out the axle.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

I still have this problem, funny thing is, the lights only come on when I drive in 5th or 6th gear for any amount of time. Never 1-4th. Anybody got the rear sensor part numbers?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 30birdy99
I still have this problem, funny thing is, the lights only come on when I drive in 5th or 6th gear for any amount of time. Never 1-4th. Anybody got the rear sensor part numbers?
Does your car have traction control?
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Whenever I want to find out how a sensor works and how to test it, I go to the Wells Counterpoint articles. They are great! Here is the one for ABS sensors: http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/counterp_v11_i4_2007.pdfI'll read up on this artical Thanks

Looks like they use a rotating magnet and create a waveform. They definitely don't go off of resistance like a non-rotating sensor. In order to test, you'll need special equipment. For the fronts, I'd expect that you'll have to replace the hub/bearings way before the sensor will go bad on you.
why do you say they definitely dont go off resistance I'm thinking a change in resistance will atler a wave form, I'm alos thinking the mechanics aren't using oscillascopes to test a WSS maybe they use the GM tech2? maybe someone w/ a shop manuel will chime in.
Originally Posted by rabbit320
about a foot or two into the wire from the speed sensor is another connector, four prong gray i think (at least these are in the rear, cant remember the fronts), which connects it to the body and back to where ever... these were dirty on mine and gave me the same lights, and are right around the inner wheel. maf cleaner works great too to get down in there...
I'll try some electronic cleaner in this connection, I had a simiarial intermitant bad connection w/ the right front headlight excellent suggestion. remember this is intermitant most of the time these 2 dash light ABS and brake usalley are off.

Originally Posted by 30birdy99
I guess I'll check those out. I never had a problem until I swapped out the axle.
I also had to replace my rear axels both had pit marks and created a very loud noise when making a sharp right turn however they where replaced years before this ABS issuse.

yes my car has TSC.
edit I have decided instead of rebuilding the ABS Electronic module for $160. I will eventualley just complely remove the intire ABS sys.
Thanks Guy's for feedback
Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by badmfkr
yes my car has TSC.
What are the exact codes you are getting. I recall that the TSC cars had limited rear end options. I wonder if your rear end swap is confusing the computer?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't you need a tech 2 or equivalent to even read the ABS codes?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Car has Traction Control and a 4 channel MWC 9" It only set lights in 5th or 6th gear. The axle ratio was corrected with the tune.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Save the manuals!

Got to check the codes. Do you think the tune could be off?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same issue after installing a MWC fab 9". Problem never solved.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

The MWC housing is huge and requires you to shave some of plastic off the sensor in order for it to slide into the hole. I had appearently forced one in during the axle swap and damaged the sensor. I ended up replacing one of the sensors to correct the problem. No light sense then.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01Blk*SS*
I have the same issue after installing a MWC fab 9". Problem never solved.
me too, (for the record)! need to start testing the sensors to see if grinding on them to get them to fit ruined them. mwc needs to change their setup to fix this issue.

Quick Reply: testing wheel speed sensors w/ mulitmeter