Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Best Brake Pads

I know this is a dumb question but i just got a drilled and slotted rotor package with brake pads and the dang brake pads give off brake dust and it covers my ZR1 wheels and looks terrible, please can you tell me what the best brake pads are and where to get them?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS SLP
I know this is a dumb question but i just got a drilled and slotted rotor package with brake pads and the dang brake pads give off brake dust and it covers my ZR1 wheels and looks terrible, please can you tell me what the best brake pads are and where to get them?
I've only heard good things about Hawks pads
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

For the street, I'd say Hawk HPS
Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
For the street, I'd say Hawk HPS
They still dust like a ************.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Best brake pads and no dust do not belong in the same sentence. If you want some low dusting pads that will perform well get either the Hawk Ceramics or OEM AC delco pads (check out ws6store.com)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Teching In

i just cant stand it when my wheels have alot of brake dust on them. i didnt drive it but 30 miles and they were covered, idc about performance i just want NO BRAKE DUST
Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

OEM AC Delco Pads, you will be happy with those
Old 04-24-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with the Hawk Ceramics.. Low dust, and slightly better performance than the stockers.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

put blanks back on the car and get some ceramic pads.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porterfield Racing, HP street pads. I've had them on my car for the last 9-10 years, work well, low dusting.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Everyones suggestions here are right on the money.

If you want performance pads (with lots of bite) then you will get brake dust (from semi-metallic or other materials OTHER THAN CERAMIC).

If you are not looking for added grip\bite from your brakes and just want clean and quiet then get ceramic.

Your drilled and slotted rotors will contribute to dust more than blank rotors because they clean the pad (thus creating more dust). Also, while driving in town, drilled and slotted rotors will decrease stopping distance a little because of less surface area mating to the pad.

I have Hawk HPS + (autocross pads) NOT Ceramic and they stop like you would never ever believe!!! Feels like a different car -no joke. They do dust up but i wash my car so often that i dont care.
-my .02
Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
Also, while driving in town, drilled and slotted rotors will decrease stopping distance a little because of less surface area mating to the pad.
Your other comments make some sense, but not this one. Contrary to the beliefs of some, reducing the surface area does NOT lead to less brake torque. Actually, if done properly (and few are!), it will lead to MORE brake torque. This is due to the increase in leading edges that the pad sees. Each extra leading edge adds just a bit more pad bite.

Decreasing surface area will lead to slightly higher pad and rotor temperatures. On the street, this can be a good thing as pads often run colder than their optimum temperature for the best coefficient. However, if running street pads on the track (which should not be done), the temperature rise can lead to slightly earlier pad fade.

To the OP: If dust is the PRIMARY concern, go with a better quality ceramic -- like Hawk Performance Ceramic. Those give up the least when it comes to ceramic pads. Most of them give up 15-20% of stopping power right out of the box. If you just want less dust, but still value performance, then you may want to stay with Hawk HPS or other similar iron-carbon semi-metallic compound.

Chris
Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris_B
Your other comments make some sense, but not this one. Contrary to the beliefs of some, reducing the surface area does NOT lead to less brake torque. Actually, if done properly (and few are!), it will lead to MORE brake torque. This is due to the increase in leading edges that the pad sees. Each extra leading edge adds just a bit more pad bite.

Decreasing surface area will lead to slightly higher pad and rotor temperatures. On the street, this can be a good thing as pads often run colder than their optimum temperature for the best coefficient. However, if running street pads on the track (which should not be done), the temperature rise can lead to slightly earlier pad fade.

To the OP: If dust is the PRIMARY concern, go with a better quality ceramic -- like Hawk Performance Ceramic. Those give up the least when it comes to ceramic pads. Most of them give up 15-20% of stopping power right out of the box. If you just want less dust, but still value performance, then you may want to stay with Hawk HPS or other similar iron-carbon semi-metallic compound.

Chris
EXCELLENT INFO HERE! ^^^

So Chris... How much for a set of J-Hook friction rings for my 12.20" Wilwood hats?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SVThuh
EXCELLENT INFO HERE! ^^^

So Chris... How much for a set of J-Hook friction rings for my 12.20" Wilwood hats?
The projects I'm involved with have no matches for the Wilwood stuff. If you have an AP Racing or Brembo system, I'm sure I could point you in the right direction. Otherwise, you might wish to try a Wilwood distributor or maybe Coleman Racing? You'd be out of luck on the J-Hooks, however, as they are trademark protected.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

but I want J-hooks!!! BOO!!!

Oh well.. Ill just run these blanks until they die.. hopefully by then you guys will have something going..

Thanks!!!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SVThuh
but I want J-hooks!!! BOO!!!

Oh well.. Ill just run these blanks until they die.. hopefully by then you guys will have something going..

Thanks!!!
If you step up to AP Racing one day, that request can probably be realized.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's the best write-up I've found on the web for brake pad selection:
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ose-brake-pads

That won't give you brands, but will help you find the right combination of pad features when picking a pad. I currently run Hawk DTC-30's on my daily driver, and I can say based upon your goals, don't use these

If you step up to AP Racing one day, that request can probably be realized.
I checked with Essex Parts about getting a CP8350-based brake system for my 98 F-Body, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work I cheaped out and went with a C6 conversion for now.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I currently run Hawk DTC-30's on my daily driver, and I can say based upon your goals, don't use these
I've tested quite a few of these for Hawk. They have outstanding torque response from cold up to fairly high temperatures (just short of road racing). These are a lot of fun to drive, especially on freeway off-ramps!

Of course, they dust like driving through a coal mine. And how many storefront windows have you shattered with that incredible brake squeal?

Chris
Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've tested quite a few of these for Hawk. They have outstanding torque response from cold up to fairly high temperatures (just short of road racing). These are a lot of fun to drive, especially on freeway off-ramps!

Of course, they dust like driving through a coal mine. And how many storefront windows have you shattered with that incredible brake squeal?

Chris
Can you elaborate on the off-ramps? The dust is more irritating than the noise to me - my polished wheels look like gun metal after just a week. Applying a bit more pressure reduces the squealing, I barely notice it now. Rotors seem to be lasting about 4 months on the street before there's a serious lip, pads maybe 6 months.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Can you elaborate on the off-ramps? The dust is more irritating than the noise to me - my polished wheels look like gun metal after just a week. Applying a bit more pressure reduces the squealing, I barely notice it now. Rotors seem to be lasting about 4 months on the street before there's a serious lip, pads maybe 6 months.
I've got a favorite off-ramp -- about 1/4 mile long and slightly downhill until it flattens out. Traffic permitting, it can be hit at well over 120 before hitting the binders. The DTC-30 practically stands the car on its nose as they bite HARD.

But like many track pads, they wear rotors excessively when cold. The hotter they run, the longer the rotors will last (comparatively speaking). Of course, track duty is hard on both rotors and pads.

And when the dust coming off of them is very hot, it will bed right into most wheel finishes, especially clear coat.

Chris

Quick Reply: Best Brake Pads