Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ASR causing cracked rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASR causing cracked rotors?

Just took a look at my rear discs while airing up the tires and noticed a couple cracks. not bad, but a crack is a crack.
with about 380hp at the wheels, could the traction control be causing this trying to clamp down on all that power?
i've been turning it off every time i get in the car to stop any further damage until i get some new rotors.
my question is, how can avoid doing this again?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

When you stop at high speed or simply slam on the brakes doing any decent speed, the brakes are absorbing well over the power your engine can put out ... Ex. I hope you can stop from 90 in less than a quarter mile. Also the rear does much less of the braking than the front so of the hp your engine puts out, much less of it actually reaches the rear and of that you're dividing it by 2.

My guess is that the rotors were just garbage to begin with or you are driving under conditions that are beyond the specs of whatever kind of rear rotors you have installed (guessing cheapest rear vented blanks )

edit: Yes, i realize that a rear wheel drive car has all of the engine power only in the rears and the rear brakes take all that. But this happens much less than regular braking i described above. Plus your ASR cuts the power, it doesn't engage the rear brakes only to avoid rear slippage. So when you had ASR on, the engine power still isn't hitting the rear brakes

Last edited by safemode; 04-25-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the sanity check. sometimes i over-think things and well, thats why i come here!

looks like i need to read up a bit on the functions of ASR. i thought the brakes tried to limit output to the wheels all alone. but now that i think of it, i feel the loud pedal get "taken away" when it slips, i im guessing it uses the cruise control module in... "reverse"? pulls the pedal out from mr. heavy-foot and closes the actual throttle plate. nifty...

still, i usually smell cooked/hot brake pads whenever the ASR kicks in really hard. first time i smelled it i thought i blew out my clutch.

anyway, thanks again, and it looks like time to get some slotted rotors. good excuse to adjust my parking brake lever while i'm at it.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

ASR clamping the brakes? No....And I really mean a big fat NO. ASR releases the throttle, it does not have the power to apply/clamp anything.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

And typically those cracks are caused by cheap rotors and doing break-torques.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

got it. yeah i thought about it and noticed the ASR takes the pedal away.

already looking at discs from strano. specifically the slotted powerstops.
i've had them on other cars and been happy with them. for $110 a pair, seems like a deal considering "normal" discs are $90.

and i havent been doing any "break-torques" if thats anything like holding the brake and doing a burnout. hard to do with a manual.
i rev-match my downshifting sometimes, thats all i can think of but i doubt that would put more stress on rear discs.

thanks everyone.
case closed.

Last edited by BowTieDrifter; 04-27-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: lol he got me typing break instead of brake haha