Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

After strano springs can't align car (not enough movement in Lower A-arm)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After strano springs can't align car (not enough movement in Lower A-arm)

I installed strano springs and new koni SA shocks. My problem now is that the lower a-arms can't be pulled in far enough to get the caster correct. Basically when you pull the lower a-arms in to try and get the alignment correct they are bottoming out in the K-member. See below for a crumby paint illustration.

Strano springs, Koni SA shocks, BMR Turbo k-member, and stock A-arms.

Last edited by ABeasst; 05-01-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my umi k and strano springs. Fortunately mine is close enough to where it drives good and all but is not back to factory spec. As far as I know all you can do is elongate the holes more or purchase some adjustable a-arms.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea we already elongated the holes and now the a-arm is all the way against the k-member and still out of spec.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Upper adjustable a-arms will fix it
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it both sides
Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes its both sides.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Cars are like ppl, some are differant, I am lowered 1 3/4" to 2" around and I am on the low side OE specs (but got there)
as "IVAN-KEY" suggested , Upper adjustable a-arms will fix it

Johnny
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

What is going on? Here again is another thread that has nothing to do with anything that's different about my springs. After reading I don't see any specs, I see it's got a non-stock k-member (which is part of the alignment as well). And as I'm seeming to have to point out a LOT lately there are car to car differences as well.

How 'bout you tell me the specs you have before we go off the deep end here?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What is going on? Here again is another thread that has nothing to do with anything that's different about my springs. After reading I don't see any specs, I see it's got a non-stock k-member (which is part of the alignment as well). And as I'm seeming to have to point out a LOT lately there are car to car differences as well.

How 'bout you tell me the specs you have before we go off the deep end here?
How about you stop whining like a little girl and re-read my post. I never said anything like these damn springs messed up my car, or I'm taking these off, or I expect strano to fix my problems.

I don't have any problem with the springs at all I like the look, handling, and ride. I'm just trying to find out the best way to fix my alignment and it looks like adjustable upper a-arms are the fix.

How about you take 3 deep breaths before posting next time. I'll post the alignment specs when I get home.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

How about you say something other than I lowered my car with Strano springs and now I have a problem?

Still, I don't see any specs, just a post that looks like the springs are the issue. Sorry if I that bothers me.

You still haven't mentioned what the issues are. Seems maybe that you can get the camber to stock, but not the caster? I can't really tell. Call wanting some specific info whining if you want.

I'll add that you not only have springs and an aftermarket k-member, but a good bit more weight in the nose too (which will make the car have a bit more negative camber). Camber and caster cross on this car. If you max one you lose a bit of the other, just the way these cars are when both adjustments are on the same arm.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about you say something other than I lowered my car with Strano springs and now I have a problem?

Still, I don't see any specs, just a post that looks like the springs are the issue. Sorry if I that bothers me.

You still haven't mentioned what the issues are. Seems maybe that you can get the camber to stock, but not the caster? I can't really tell. Call wanting some specific info whining if you want.

I'll add that you not only have springs and an aftermarket k-member, but a good bit more weight in the nose too (which will make the car have a bit more negative camber). Camber and caster cross on this car. If you max one you lose a bit of the other, just the way these cars are when both adjustments are on the same arm.
Once again if you read the original post I stated my problem. Also I told you that once I got off work I'd post the specs.

Here they are.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about grinding off some material at the end of the
A-arm that is "bottoming in the cup"?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Your really not that far off. I would't worry about it. Your camber is in the green and with that spec the tires won't wear funny. You probably won't notice anything with the caster the way it is either.

The only thing I see is your rear toe is 1/4* positive on the left and 1/4* on the right. Which will cause some tire wear and will track to the right slightly.

Is the wheel straight while driving? If so, leave it.

On a side note, I always found it odd that the factory wants positive camber on the front.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

OP you should not worry about thoes specs, with that caster setting car will/ may pull a little to the right ( better right than left) should be able to control small pull with small amount of pressure on steering wheel, your tech should be able to treek caster and camber a little on both sides to get closer to even caster just a small amount out of specs will not be a big problem, IF you have adjustable rear lowert control arms should correct rear thrust angle
Johnny
Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

mine aligment is not perfect, I set my caster to 5.2 on both sides. Thats where I wanted it. My camber on the drive side, I was able to zero it out but the passenger side is out of specs. I have to much negitive camber on the passenger side. It's just out of the green at 1.0 to be in the green it has to be at 0.8. I max out all of the camber, there is no more room to pull it in, like you show in your pic. I have to elongate the hole but I didn't have the tools or time. my car drives straigt with no pull. On my toe, I got my total toe to 0.0 and my stering wheel is straight. I wouldn't worry about it, but if your car pulls and you have elongated your holes the get the arms.

Im on drop springs, eibach
Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

We elongated the holes and bottomed out the a-arm completely. I wouldn't be worried about the specs if it didn't pull to the right when braking. Example I made a 140 1/4 pass and when you hit the brakes hard to slow down you don't want to be yanked to the right.

Looks like I'm going to get some adjustable uppers and see if we can get it worked out.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Sam, i understand you take a lot of abuse on here from certain people, but i didn't see anything in anyone's post here that was bashing you....i read the post as that he had lowered the car and is now having the problem mentioned, and he was just giving a listing of the parts he had installed on the car.

as you well know, giving a complete listing of the parts involved can (and usually does) help others to narrow down an issue....if he hadn't stated which specific parts that he had installed, then he would probably be getting bashed for not doing so.

i love your stuff....i have your springs, and have purchased some Koni SA's and some ATE rotors from you, and eventually intend to get your sway bars and a watts link from you as well. but seriously, before "going off the deep end", it may be worthwhile to stop and think that there could very well be more than one way that a post can be interpreted....after all, these are just words on a screen, there is no "body language" or "tone of voice" to gain any information from in regards to the nature of the post. if anything is in question, maybe ask the poster to clarify his intent before automatically assuming that they're bashing you or your products.

then if they do something that seems "bash-y", feel free to fire away on all cylinders back at them. a little restraint & understanding can go a long way....not only for keeping current customers, but for gaining new customers (and maybe RE-gaining old customers) as well. after all, who wants to buy something from someone that flies off the handle all the time the minute something about their products is posted in a way that may or may not be negative?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can understand Sam's point....Instead of calling Sam first, and asking for advice, the OP logs on to the world wide web, and titles his thread, "after Strano springs, can't align car".

Let's be honest, if someone bought parts from any of you, had an issue, and mentioned your name in the discussion, without talking it over with you first, wouldn't you be somewhat annoyed??
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I can understand Sam's point....Instead of calling Sam first, and asking for advice, the OP logs on to the world wide web, and titles his thread, "after Strano springs, can't align car".

Let's be honest, if someone bought parts from any of you, had an issue, and mentioned your name in the discussion, without talking it over with you first, wouldn't you be somewhat annoyed??
except for the fact that the OP never intended to imply that it was a defect or a problem with Sam's parts that caused the problem.....he was simply stating what parts he put on, and what problem was occurring after doing so.

ok, so maybe the OP didn't word it as well as he could have, and caused some confusion by it....but the fact remains that if you are selling stuff and you have an online presence, you don't just fly off the handle and start snapping at customers until you're 100% sure that it's warranted...unless you don't care about keeping customers, or scaring away other potential customers.

if the OP had come on here and said something like "Sam's springs are ****, i put them on, and now i can't get my alignment right" without talking to Sam first, then yeah.....blast away.....but that's not the case at all.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Ive been reading alot in the suspension section and it seems that he always come across like that... He's definitely steered me away from buying products from him.... dude needs deal with customers in a more professional way. not a good way to conduct business IMO

Quick Reply: After strano springs can't align car (not enough movement in Lower A-arm)