Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

RS (V6) vs. SS Suspension differences stock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question RS (V6) vs. SS Suspension differences stock?

I am trying to figure out the RS (V6) vs. SS Suspension differences even after the RS has had SLP Bilsteins added, and 32/19 SS Sways w/Prothane connections -- apart from the steering rack/ratio, and additional bracing of the 'Vert -- what else would be enhanced on the SS in comparison from the factory?

It seemed the SS still had some handling edge stock over the RS in its current form, and I'm trying to determine what those things may be? Some bushings, or are those only on 1LEs?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-05-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring rates & wheel size are the only others I can think of.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Details are pretty sparse here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37488587/2002-Camaro-Cataloge
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that both are SLP derived and may or may not get SLP options somewhat complicates matters, but starting with the standard base car and the standard SS there are only essentially 4 differences for 98+.

Front springs: V6 254lb/in, V8 292 lb/in (rear springs the same). If SLP springs or aftermarket this is irrelevant.
Front shocks: They are slightly different for the base V6 and V8, but if Bilsteins are installed that is irrelevant.
Sway Bars: SS bars depend on production date and if you got an SLP suspension package. It could have bigger than 32/19 on it.

That's basically it. The extra front spring rate can make the V8s seem like the handle a little better even if the bars and shocks are the same. If your tire package isn't the same between the two cars that could also explain some of the disparity.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

So it's just the 1LE's with upgraded bushings, huh?

SS has 17", RS has 16" -- I thought the smaller size was better for the V6 for acceleration, which is part of the reason I have not bumped to 17"...

Would it be worthwhile swapping to SS springs on a V6 RS? With less engine weight, would that cause any undesirable effects?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

SLP had an option of better tires as well, and an Auburn diff. Those could be contributing factors to handling.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
SS has 17", RS has 16" -- I thought the smaller size was better for the V6 for acceleration, which is part of the reason I have not bumped to 17"...
Depends. Less wheel / tire mass improves acceleration for any car. It is possible to get wheel / tires in 17" that weigh less than 16". Width matters too. More width = more aerodynamic drag but potentially less rolling resistance (somewhat small effects).

Would it be worthwhile swapping to SS springs on a V6 RS? With less engine weight, would that cause any undesirable effects?
The only undesirable effects would be slightly stiffer ride, and potentially slightly higher ride height in the front. That and it is a pain to do a spring swap on the front, or it is pricey so hardly anyone would go through the trouble for stock springs when you can do aftermarket springs for aesthetics and more spring rate. It depends ultimately what rate springs you want for the front and how you like the balance of the car now.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
SLP had an option of better tires as well, and an Auburn diff. Those could be contributing factors to handling.
These are good points.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

So is it true that a 98+ has the same OEM front spring rates regardless if it's a Z28 or SS? Did 1LEs get any different spring rates?

As you say, I really things it's the stiffer SS springs that make it handle so much better than my RS. I am leaning towards swapping the RS springs with the SS springs still due to a sloppy feeling experienced with a quick lane change even though I now have the OEM SS sways (32/19) w/Prothane hardware.

I do still need to upgrade my front tires to be sure the stiffer sidewalls aren't another differentiator with the SS. Currently Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 245/50 ZR16 97W M+S in the rear, BF Goodrich Traction T/A P235/55 R16 96T M+S in the front.

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The fact that both are SLP derived and may or may not get SLP options somewhat complicates matters, but starting with the standard base car and the standard SS there are only essentially 4 differences for 98+.

Front springs: V6 254lb/in, V8 292 lb/in (rear springs the same). If SLP springs or aftermarket this is irrelevant.
Front shocks: They are slightly different for the base V6 and V8, but if Bilsteins are installed that is irrelevant.
Sway Bars: SS bars depend on production date and if you got an SLP suspension package. It could have bigger than 32/19 on it.

That's basically it. The extra front spring rate can make the V8s seem like the handle a little better even if the bars and shocks are the same. If your tire package isn't the same between the two cars that could also explain some of the disparity.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was under impression that the v6 might be heavier than an ls1 due to ls1 being aluminum and 3.8v6 being iron.

Quick Reply: RS (V6) vs. SS Suspension differences stock?