Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

t/a adjustment confusion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default t/a adjustment confusion

Ok did search/watched videos....still confused....have a magnetic angle finder...lying under car looking towards pass side...which side of "0" is negative...my DS is pointing down towards the rear and the ta base I'd pointing down towards front...no material how I turn to adjust I still end up with "0" degrees...I'm getting a headache just thinking about it
Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://support.spohn.net/questions/1...inion+angle%3F

Left is positive , right is neg. on the drive shaft. If the shaft is pointing down then its negitive. Then place the finder on the pinion its opposite from the shaft if its to the left ( pin down) its neg. if its to the right its pos. (pin up) Negative 1-2 is the best , zero is ok. Positive is bad. Really you want the shaft and the pinion to be in the same plane. When you accelerate the pinion tries to go up (pos.) thats why you want a slight neg. preload
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

So I'm understanding correctly.....if I place it on the ds looking towards the pass side and its reading 2 from 0
on left side of 0 its +2 and of I place it on the pinion still looking towards the pass side and its reading 1 to the right of 0 it's at -1....so I would have a +1 at this point..(not the numbers I'm at right now just pulling them outta my *** for examples to see if I'm understanding it right)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.go-fast.org/z28/pinionangle.html
That article wants you to take your measurements by looking from the drivers side of the car and use this formula (drive shaft - rear angle = Pinion angle) so for example...
(-2ds) - (-4ra) = +2

Measuring Pinion Angle
this sticky tells you to take the measurements by looking from the passenger side of the car and use this formula (rear angle - drives shaft = Pinion angle) so for example...
(-4ra) - (-2ds) = -2

Thats 2 different ways of finding the same angle and its 2 opposite answers. Then add to that if you have a drive shaft that runs up hill to the rear end, the only way to get that magical negative pinion angle is to have your rear end point damn near straight down.
(+2ds) - (-4ra)= 6
or
(-4ra) - (+2ds)= -6

The MADMAN way just putting the angle finder on the yoke, no matter what way your looking at the car, no matter how bad your math is, its easy to set.

Maybe im just a dumbass (tell me if i am it wont hurt my feelings) but I think there should be 1 way of doing this.

this help?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Madman way is wrong and like you said, there is 2 different awnsers depending on what way you look at the car. But it doesnt matter if its 2 or -2 you still have 2 degress difference between the yoke and DS if im right.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

BMR has a great video on youtube. Do a search over there and see if that clears anything up for you. When I install my tq arm in a few weeks I will be following their vid. [they should know what they are talking about since they design this stuff hahaha]. Check out 'BMR Adjustable Torque Arm Pinion Angle How To'
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stu_x24x
BMR has a great video on youtube. Do a search over there and see if that clears anything up for you. When I install my tq arm in a few weeks I will be following their vid. [they should know what they are talking about since they design this stuff hahaha]. Check out 'BMR Adjustable Torque Arm Pinion Angle How To'
Actually you are wrong. When BMR first put out a video on how to do it they did it wrong and it was corrected by a member on this forum. It is updated now.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

I checked theirs out and that's one of the ones that is confusing me. The second post above link I understand the best and think I can figure it out from that. Although I still need to install the lca brackets when I get them I'm gonna see if I can get it adjusted tomorrow and see what I come up with
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Just trying to help but it sounds like you are measureing wrong. It seems to me you are putting the angle finder wrong. You are measuring it horizontal, from door to door. It needs to be vertical from front to back. When you lay down on the ground between your rear tire and door you should be able to read the angle finder. If you are unable to see it turn it to where you are able to read it. If you lay down behind your car look down the middle towards the front and you are able to read it, It is wrong and needs to be turned 90*. Look at bmr vid and see how they place their angle finder.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spcearle
So I'm understanding correctly.....if I place it on the ds looking towards the pass side and its reading 2 from 0
on left side of 0 its +2 and of I place it on the pinion still looking towards the pass side and its reading 1 to the right of 0 it's at -1....so I would have a +1 at this point..(not the numbers I'm at right now just pulling them outta my *** for examples to see if I'm understanding it right)

That is correct. Then you do the math and adjust from that point.
The relocation brackets on the rear control arms will drop the mounting point down allowing the arms to intersect the t. arm some where around the instant center of the car. This is good for traction not so good for handling.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/i...A_Drag_Car.htm

This is a good read some of it aplies to all cars.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some more info

http://www.cartechbooks.com/cartech/...iles/13055.pdf
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

One more just to confuse everyone.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...132487&page=16
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99corvette
Madman way is wrong and like you said, there is 2 different awnsers depending on what way you look at the car. But it doesnt matter if its 2 or -2 you still have 2 degress difference between the yoke and DS if im right.
Really the drive shaft doesn't matter in a torque arm car. Thats why he doesn't care about it. The drive shaft and the rear should be with in a few degrees or you can wear out u joints or cause bad vibrations. He is considered one of the best in setting up these cars. If you are serious about racing he is the one to tune your suspension.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

How in the world would the driveshaft not matter??? Its still connected to the rearend. So when the rearend flexes up during a launch the driveshaft will do. You want the pinion between the driveshaft and the rearend to be at 0 under a launch
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I attached a diagram that perhaps might help you out......
Attached Thumbnails t/a adjustment confusion-pinionangle.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you set the pinion say -2 degrees down where is the back yoke of the shaft going to be at? In the same plane. Why does the shaft have U joints? So it can rotate in both planes up and down and side to side. I' m not saying set your pinion to -5 and then have the shaft at a + 10. Your not going to be able to do it any way. The front joint and the rear joint of the shaft should be within a couple of degrees of each other.

Basically with the motor mount and transmission cross member in the stock locations its going to be close to zreo already. If you were running motor plates etc then you might have to look at the drive shaft closer.

As long as the shaft isn't in a bind what does it matter. If the shaft slopes down from the tranny joint at say 3 degrees who cares. The pinion is what matters. The shaft is only there for the ride. Look at lifted trucks and tell me the angle on there shafts.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The torque arm suspension removes
the driveshaft from the equation and
uses a typical sliding yoke driveshaft.
Because the front mounting point is no
longer on the exact centerline of the car
(and so the mount can be made more
lightly), the torque arm also makes use of
two lower arms similar to what you see
in a four-link suspension system. These
propel the vehicle and longitudinally
locate the axle in the car, leaving the
torque arm to control pinion angle under
acceleration and braking. The torque arm
itself is usually very long and most commonly
mounts to the transmission crossmember
or to the side of the tailshaft

This is why you don't care about the shaft.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

ok got it adjusted i think...my ds is at +2 and my pininion is at -4 so if my math is right that puts me at -2

Quick Reply: t/a adjustment confusion