Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Slotted Rotors vs. Stock rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slotted Rotors vs. Stock rotors

pro's and cons? i was talkin to my mechanic about my squealing brakes today and he said my slotted rotors could be the issue(there is a slight lip around the edges and one of the slots has a slight edge and seems to be grabbing alittle). But there could be some i think its called glazing over the Pad, which i can take care of, but i was thinking about going back to stock rotors to see if there would be any changes. any thoughts as to you prefer and why?

Last edited by LS1Vince; 05-09-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: didnt think it was detailed enough. lol
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Vince
pro's and cons? i was talkin to my mechanic about my squealing brakes today and he said my slotted rotors could be the issue. so i was thinking about going back to stock. any thoughts?
I would think squealing brakes would be more related to the brake pads. If they're worn down they'll squeal. If you have more aggressive performance brake pads, they can squeal also.

Quality blank rotors are the best choice for braking performance. Slotted or cross-drilled rotors will not stop as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

well thats the thing, my brakes are fine lol even my mechanic said that maybe changing out the slotted rotors would be it. my pads are fine, lots of life left in them, im not sure what kind they are (previous owner installed them, as well as the rotors) but i have the stock ones, so i might just throw those back on and see what happens. :/
Old 05-09-2011, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

:sigh:

I think I will mostly just steer clear of this one...

OP: You may want to do some actual research on braking systems and symptoms... Squeal could be induced my a multitude of things.. Most likely however, it is not your slotted rotors..
Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

well thats why i came and asked.....to see if there was anyone else that had a similar problem SVT. Sorry for using the Board correctly? instead of telling me to look it up and do more research, a simple link to a website explaining what it could be or being somewhat nice about my question would of worked too.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1Vince
well thats why i came and asked.....to see if there was anyone else that had a similar problem SVT. Sorry for using the Board correctly? instead of telling me to look it up and do more research, a simple link to a website explaining what it could be or being somewhat nice about my question would of worked too.
Slotted rotors can create some additional noise under heavy load but it's more of a "chopping" noise. The squeal has nothing to do with your slotted rotors. The majority of low speed squeal is caused by harmonic vibration. New caliper hardware (abutment clips) and lube at all the critical contact points (a quality ceramic lubricant like ceramlube) would be my first step.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
Slotted rotors can create some additional noise under heavy load but it's more of a "chopping" noise. The squeal has nothing to do with your slotted rotors. The majority of low speed squeal is caused by harmonic vibration. New caliper hardware (abutment clips) and lube at all the critical contact points (a quality ceramic lubricant like ceramlube) would be my first step.
awesome. Thanks man. that was the reply i was looking for!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry.. After re-reading my response, I guess I was being a bit of a dick... I was tired and grumpy when I posted that.

Lube everything up like the post above states.. If it still squeals, you likely have some cementite building up.

This article deals with "warped" rotors, but there is good information to be found for your situation also.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks SVT, that's pretty helpful. i actually read thru that thread today. im gonna go ahead and do what you said and see what happens. thanks again man!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

my f250 squeals after slotted rotors
Old 05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get some disc brake quiet and apply it to the back of the pads. Also, get some caliper lube and apply it to the caliper pins, sleeves, bushings and pistons. Make sure to clean everything first.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Its time for new rotors and pads myself but I will be avoiding slotted/drilled rotors. Blanks are the way to go IMO.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been through every type of rotor over the years. The best rotors are the most inexpensive blank rotors you can find.

WHY? Cheep rotors will stop your car just as well as the most expensive rotors. And they ALL can and will warp, no matter how expensive they might be.

Drilled rotors may lead to cracks and reduce weight. You want the full weight rotors-it's the mass of the rotor that absorbs the energy (heat). Grooved or slotted rotors do nothing-but can lead to shorter pad life.

Spend your money elsewhere. EBC Yellowstuff pads are terrific and worth every penny.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

thats crazy to hear, i have had my "slotted" rotors for as long as i can remember...I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE...

and if "blank" rotors are the best to use.. why do every single higher end exotic car not have them?

most all sport bikes, z06's, vipers, and such all use slotted or crossdrilled for a reason...

i hate when some people just pull their comments out their ***!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Check this thread.. Very in depth review of slotted vs. blanks and pros/cons of each.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...nk-rotors.html
Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I've been through every type of rotor over the years. The best rotors are the most inexpensive blank rotors you can find.

WHY? Cheep rotors will stop your car just as well as the most expensive rotors. And they ALL can and will warp, no matter how expensive they might be.
Pretty broad statement there, you may want to be more specific. You should be fine just putting around with cheap rotors, but in performance applications and track events I don't see cheap rotors holding up as well as quality ones - Ive seen cheap blank rotors crack as well. Buying a quality blank rotor is what you want. Less prone to warping (yes, I just went there), cracking and likely will last longer because of thickness.

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
thats crazy to hear, i have had my "slotted" rotors for as long as i can remember...I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE...

and if "blank" rotors are the best to use.. why do every single higher end exotic car not have them?

most all sport bikes, z06's, vipers, and such all use slotted or crossdrilled for a reason...

i hate when some people just pull their comments out their ***!
Not this again...
Check out the race versions of those cars, you will see many of them running blanks.

Quick Reply: Slotted Rotors vs. Stock rotors