Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

People that have deleted ABS, need honest feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People that have deleted ABS, need honest feedback.

Alright, I am about to take the plunge and get a 9 inch. Also, I am doing a bunch of work to put in a turbo. And I will admit, packaging wise removing it would make it easier, but it can still be worked around. Now, my question is for those of you who have removed the ABS, have you regretted it or run into times youve actually locked up the wheels? I mean i had a time or two but that was when I was running on 225/50-16s, now I run 275/40-17 and 315/35-17. Also, I just installed the C5 brakes, and haven't run them yet, so I'm not sure if thats gonna make it grab a lot more or not. Please, anyone with info let me know. Thank you

Last edited by projektnitemare13; 05-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thankfully have not run into any situations where I've had to lock up the wheels during a panic stop, but I only drive the car during nice weather, and lately that hasn't been very often. If I drove it more often, I'd probably figure out a way to put it back on, but I don't miss it driving the car like I do.

That said, I was on my way to work the other morning in my daily driven truck, and a deer decided to run out in front of me. I had to do a panic stop, and I'll tell you what...if that truck didn't have ABS, it might have been ugly, because even with ABS, I still got some pretty good axle tramp due to how hard I hit the brakes. I don't care who you are...when it comes time to make a panic stop, you can't overcome your natural instincts to slam on the brakes, and that's where ABS really makes a difference.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unplug your abs module and do some driving to try it out. I haven't officially removed everything yet but when I drive with my drag radials and skinnies I have to unplug it or the abs locks up and don't have any problems. With no abs its the same as driving a car that has the abs light on or an older pre 90's car without abs.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Thats the problem, im in a situation where i cant drive it right now. and once I am able to start it again, ill have had to make the call. I hate being difficult but, thats just kinda where im at right now. car is pretty well stripped, and im fabbing up my hotside right now. So, ill have to make the call before i can finish, 'cause where id put the turbo with no ABS is right where the abs block is right now. Other thing too, and its kinda related is, it looks like im may have to abandon airbags too, ill be runnign a cage or bar, and harnesses with lotsa padding at least. so, hope i dont hit anything, and im usually pretty cautious as a driver. but, does make the ABs call a bit more important i guess.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ABS and airbags are for street cars it sounds like you are making more of a track car so I would just ditch them. Cars did not have ABS or airbags for a long time just take them out and if the light bugs you pull your cluster and pull the bulbs.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

The car is going to be for clear nice days pretty much, when it does go on the street. It'll never see a winter again, and rain...well, I wont be driving it if it isnt necessary on rainy days. So, im not sure itll be mainly a track car, but it wont be in inclement weather like a DD. So, really what im more worried about is the "**** happens" factor, or if people have deleted it and regretted it later and for what reason.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I deleted ABS on all my cars because I have several spanning times before ABS was an option. I learned to drive without it and I can't rely on it being there since I swap between cars so much. Honestly I find most ABS systems - even on sports cars - a bit touchy for spirited driving but that's me.

Of course your mileage may differ, but I have zero regrets in removing mine.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5-years and only had ABS kick in once honestly. Deleted it a few months ago and don't miss it.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Thank you, yeah i realized i rarely have ever used it either, never in the last 4-5 years either, but just wanted to see.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Launching!

I havent deleted it on mine, but the EBCM is not working so my ABS/TCS doesnt function. I havent had it lock up and its been this way for almost 2 years, like above, the car is not my DD so I only take it out in good weather but its never been an issue for me.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

I got rid of it, and now Im in the process of learning how to flare brake lines for the ABS delete kit. I ******* suck at it. But, there is a good bit more space under the hood to work around. I dont think my ABS would like having 28x13 on the rears and 26x4s on the front.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Remember with flaring, fully de-burr the tube, and even hit with a little sand paper to clean up he ends. then flare, itll prevent wonky flares and tube splits
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in the same boat as the OP...can we just pull the fuse and run around or awhile before we make the judgement call and fully delete it?

what a c5 brake kit be more noticable as far more prone to lock up due to a more touchy braking system? wouldn't a proportion valve counter that regardless?

I finesse(sp?) brake all the time way in advance but there are other times when i apply more pressure but i never jolt on the brakes regardless...i apply brakes like squeezing a trigger...

the SJM kit with the P valve; is that a way to counter against deleted ABS that is custom to the driver?

Sorry for the hijack OP, but i think these questions would help the thread out also...plus i don't want to start a new thread when it can be combined in one
Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

i pulled the module...don't even notice a difference besides the pedal feel which is really nothing. ill be deleting it an running some 28" drag radials
Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think I ever used the abs before I took it out. My instincts are always to steer around a situation anyways. And I always see **** way before it happens. I had a situation a week ago. The manual rack I just put in is wayyyyyy worse than deleting abs.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

yeah, for an avoidance strategy i can imagine a manual rack would be bad
Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I wanna delete my ABS. I am testing out my new Hawk HPS pads. They have no problem activating the ABS system with the initial bite. This is what makes me nervous.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

going to bump this thread! i know its a little old...dont want to start a newer one on the same subject.

i saved a little money by not having the abs options on my mwc 9...i plan on doing some 14in brakes in front...stock rears.

i cruise on the street. but will also be participating in road races and the drag strip....is abs necessary??? im guessing i wouldnt want skinnies on the front with 14in rotors and no abs......

Quick Reply: People that have deleted ABS, need honest feedback.