Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI adj T/A and LCARB, what's your settings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default UMI adj T/A and LCARB, what's your settings?

I have a full length UMI adjustable T/A with the relocation crossmember. I also have a set of relocation brackets for the rear control arms. Control arms are non adjustable roto/poly's. I have strano springs and koni 4/4's.

When I set the car up orgininally Sam had me move the T/A up one hole from factory to change my instant center and had me put the control arms in the upper hole on the brackets. My pinion angle was about 2 degree's. I had my exhaust guy check it while it was on the drive on lift.

I have Nitto NT05R's on the back and the car really doesn't hook worth a ****. I only have 430rwhp. It's a M6 too.

I changed the control arms to the lower bracket to see if that would help or not. I think it made it worse. When on the gas the car feels like its on ice and wants to walk side to side. I never noticed this before. After thinking about it I physically had to move the rearend some to get it in the lower bolt holes so I am thinking my pinon angle changed but don't have a good way to check it right now.

I was wondering what other people have their settings at and what kind of 60 ft's are you pulling. I want to get it lined out so I can take it to the track.

I am also wanting to know whats a good shock setting for the koni's at the track. I know with the type of suspension setup I have will limit me some.

Yes I called Sam but he is super busy right now. I wanted to see what others are doing with a simaliar setup.

Thanks for any input.

J
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had the car on the lift tonight changing the oil so I moved the LCA's back to the top hole. Oh man what a difference. It doesn't feel like I'm going to die now when I'm on the gas.

Whatever change moving them to the lower hole was, was not a good one.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The top hole will make the car more stable.... that you found. Lower holes should help traction some as it moves the instant center rearward. But as you found it can cause other issues too.

As for rear shocks @ the track. On those you are adjusting rebound, not compression and it reality is it probably doesn't matter in the rear. But the fronts, I'd turn those down if you are trying for a more track specific setup.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

So there really isn't any other changes I can make? As I mentioned the car feels much more stable in the upper hole.

Thanks Sam!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

If you are trying to make it hook, I'd say more sticky tires so you can gain traction that way without the geometry change you dislike.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Sam. I will probably keep these tires so I don't grenade my 10 bolt.

Quick Reply: UMI adj T/A and LCARB, what's your settings?