Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front shock install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front shock install questions

hey guys,

I'm in the middle of installing my front shocks/springs... question is, how far down do I need to tighten the shock nut? I've found nothing about where the shock nut should sit or anything... can anyone tell me, definitively? Or does not really matter because the weight of the car will determine how/where the spring will sit anyway? I've not really done this before so pointers would be helpful!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't done my install yet, but have heard if it's not tight enough you will get some popping. I know that doesn't answer your question, but I've heard you won't know until it's back together. So, don't think: Oh, it will be tight enough. I try to read most of the install threads to keep from getting stuck. That's one of the questions I have for Sam when I call.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You tighten down the shock nut until it completely bottoms out. The only purpose of the nut is to hold it all together, it isn't to determine how the spring sits at all. I forget the actual torque spec, but when I had done mine I used the german torque spec gootentite - say it out loud
Old 05-29-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

I put about 1/2" thread to the top of the nut once I put the isolator in. We'll see how it does!

Quick Reply: front shock install questions