Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

service manual says preferred camber +0.4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default service manual says preferred camber +0.4 ???

in my 2002 service manual on wheel alignment, it says for camber service preferred is 0.4. Does not have a negative sign. And service allowable for camber is "-0.1 to 0.9".
Is that a misprint?

I thought any camber even stock would be on the negative side slightly if not zero.
Although +0.4 is halfway between -0.1 and 0.9 which is the trend of all the alignment numbers in the book. If +0.4 camber is the preferred stock setting, then why slightly positive?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is correct. However i wouldn't run those specs. I like atleast -.5* of camber.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm at a little over 1* negative for my dd.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

differant strokes for differant fokes, some ppl like a - setting and say that - is better for road racing or fast turning, I like/get great milage running a + camber and + toe
I may not be a 'spert but have been around for quite a long time/still learning
click on my link below for my thinking about auto alignments
and NO I am not looking for work as I retired 4 years ago
Johnny
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Most cars are setup from the factory to understeer.. They consider understeer to be safer than oversteer, which in most cases is correct. This is a lot of the reason for the shitty specs for front end alignment from the factory.

IMO, your best bet is to set your camber at -.25* to -.50* for a daily driver with a small amount of toe in and maximum caster.. Gives great tire wear and much improves the steering response of the car.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SVThuh
Most cars are setup from the factory to understeer.. They consider understeer to be safer than oversteer, which in most cases is correct. This is a lot of the reason for the shitty specs for front end alignment from the factory.

IMO, your best bet is to set your camber at -.25* to -.50* for a daily driver with a small amount of toe in and maximum caster.. Gives great tire wear and much improves the steering response of the car.
This is what I did.. -0.5 camber, max caster which was like 4.5 or so (around there anyway) and they put "lead caster" on one of the tires so it won't follow the dips and ruts in the road as much and man this has helped considerably. I also have 0 toe on both sides. I don't have a lot of experience with set ups but this is more responsive than stock and after about 300 miles or so, tire wear looks normal.

Quick Reply: service manual says preferred camber +0.4 ???