Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Synthetic grease for polyurethane lca's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic grease for polyurethane lca's?

Hi guys, I just installed UMI lower control arms on my 01 z28. I used a normal petroleum based grease on there and was told by a tech that it will destroy the bushings over time. He said I have to use this special synthetic grease that is hard to find but UMI carries it. Anyone have any input or experience on this matter?? Also I torqued the lcas down to 80 ft lbs when they were supposed to be 72 ft lbs. I am hearing a squeeking whenever my rear suspension goes over any bumps
Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A regular non-synthetic petroleum grease will break down the bushing with time. We like to use a grease called Super Lube which we carry and I don't think can be found in stores. Now if you are looking for something you can find at your local auto parts store I would use the Mobil 1 synthetic grease in the cartridges. I would remove the lower control arms and take the bushings out and clean all the old grease out and use some that will work well with the poly-urethane bushings. This will probably take car of the squeek you are currently having. Also the extra 8ft lbs of torque is not going to hurt the bolts, they are a pretty large bolt and can take some torque.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
A regular non-synthetic petroleum grease will break down the bushing with time. We like to use a grease called Super Lube which we carry and I don't think can be found in stores. Now if you are looking for something you can find at your local auto parts store I would use the Mobil 1 synthetic grease in the cartridges. I would remove the lower control arms and take the bushings out and clean all the old grease out and use some that will work well with the poly-urethane bushings. This will probably take car of the squeek you are currently having. Also the extra 8ft lbs of torque is not going to hurt the bolts, they are a pretty large bolt and can take some torque.
Okay sounds great thank you!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Okay sounds great thank you!
No problem!

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, many industrial hardware distrubutors carry Super Lube....

Quick Reply: Synthetic grease for polyurethane lca's?