Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Your Thoughts/Experiences with Spohn Products Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Your Thoughts/Experiences with Spohn Products Please

I'm in the market for a bunch of suspension components, namely LCA's, relocation brackets, PHB, torque arm, and swaybars(front and rear).
I'd like to hear what everyone with these products thinks of Spohn. My concern is whether or not they are quality pieces considering the price compared to a similar BMR, G2, or Hotchkis parts. Do they perform as well or better than similar produced parts and has anyone had any breakages or failures with Spohn components?

Thanks in advance,
Brett

BTW: Yes I did do a couple of searches but I couldn't come up with any definitive answers.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brett H
I'd like to hear what everyone with these products thinks of Spohn.
I'll start the show.
My first impression of Spohn products was a very good one. Of course I did my research on the products just like you. I apologize in advance for not giving a driving impression with the pieces, as I have not installed them yet. I would hope someone else chimes in that has driven their car with the Spohn products, as this would be more helpful than my rambling about how well they are constructed.
You did not state what the primary use of your car is. Spohn's market is for F-bodies that drag race mostly. This is not to say their products won't work in a roadracing competition, just that if you were taking that route I'd look at LG Motorsports or Global West. The pieces that I received were well constructed and worth the price paid. I personally beleive that Spohn's products are a bargain for what he charges for the pieces.
I purchased the rod/poly LCA's and a set of mild steel SFC's. Steve uses better rod ends for his LCA's than most of the other companies listed, as good as LG motorsports I beleive. (I'm not sure on this point, it's just what I remember from what I read here)
In conclusion, I'm very happy with my purchase. I plan on buying more Spohn components as the years go on. My car does see the drag strip occasionally, it's mostly street driven though. And lately I've been thinking about joining the Central PA chapter of SCCA and trying my hand out with some auto-x. Some of the Spohn pieces won't work well in this kind of enviornment, namely Spohn sway bars. If you want to buy the Cadillac of supsension look to LG motorsports. His pieces for roadracing/auto-x are the best. No one on this board will dispute this. There are many other people on this forum that have had several brands of suspension. They will be ultimately more helpful than my opinion.
Bottom line, buy what you think will work best for your car. As Mitch would say "Don't settle for good enough"
Tony
Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I think it's more "The best value is not necesarily the cheapest price."
Old 03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had quite a few Spohn pieces on my 88 GTA...

poly/rod LCAs
poly/poly adjustable panhard
poly end links and swaybar bushing front/rear

His suspension parts are of great quality. They are hefty components (again, his market is primarily drag, but many of the parts will improve overall handling as well), but as a result they're also very tough. All the welds were very clean and deep. Everything had grease fittings (I also purchased a bulk tube of lithium grease as well, not one of those little plastic packets, and I still have about 95% of it left). He even honed a set of 32mm swaybar bushings out to 34mm for me at no charge.

I haven't purchased any other brand of LCAs or panhard bars, so I can't really attest to any sort of weight difference, if there is any. Spohn's stuff is beefy but very rugged.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Actually I think it's more "The best value is not necesarily the cheapest price."
Sorry Mitch, I think I misquoted you.
Tony
Old 03-04-2004, 10:11 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
And lately I've been thinking about joining the Central PA chapter of SCCA and trying my hand out with some auto-x.
Off topic but, I went to one of their events once (when they had it at the CATA bus test track by University Park Airport). I think a lot of those people are very stuck up as they think they are know-it-alls and that their cars are so much better than anyone elses. They will also look down on your once they find out you prefer to drag race because they can't grasp only being on a track for seconds at a time.

Also, one of the higher-ups comes into my store often. He'll always ignore me and when he talks about his car to someone else, he's always loud so I can hear about how "great" it is at the races. I can't stand people like that.

Other than that, I had a lot of fun because I got a co-driver that was really nice and appreciated my car for what it was set up for (at the time I had my Mustang). So if you go, show them what's up.

Another thing I just remembered. A lot of kids have being going to the events lately from what I understand. They have really shitty Honda's and the like. They think they own the road because the "race". Just something else to be aware of.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

I have Spohn components. 2001 WS6.

Front @ Rear swaybar
adj panhard bar (1 rod end)
adj lca's (1 rod end)

I love these things! Fit perfectly, easy install, and a night/day difference from stock. If I wind up replacing my torque arm I'll use Spohn as well.

Bytheway:
Where'd you get the bulk tube of lithium grease... and is this the proper teflon based grease to use with our poly bushings?

Last edited by Second_Infinity; 03-04-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd Infinity, you can buy it directly from Spohn, it was $14 a tube when I got mine, but that was like 4 years ago. Lithium is a synthetic based grease, not hydrocarbon based, so it does fit well with poly bushing (hydro grease and poly bushings are like water and wax paper, the water just happens to be a lot thicker in this case). It isn't teflon based, but it is synthetic and provides excellent lubrication for poly bushings. I've never had a problem with bushing deterioration with this grease, and I road the poly bushings on my GTA for 4 years (year round at that)

Quick Reply: Your Thoughts/Experiences with Spohn Products Please