LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   bad rear axle hop?? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1463608-bad-rear-axle-hop.html)

nastySS707 09-06-2011 02:33 AM

bad rear axle hop??

i have a 2002 ss camaro 6 speed. have alot of motor work done and suspension.. when i pop the clutch the car starts to burn out but the rearend hops so bad its rattling my brain up.. knocked a whole can of soda out of the cup holder.. anyone know why this is?.. much apreciated.. im a new member

bigj2717 09-06-2011 07:49 AM

What suspension work have you done?

BMR Sales2 09-06-2011 08:27 AM

Sounds like you could use some good lower control arms along with some lower control arm relocation brackets. What kind of suspension do you currently have on the car, I am assuming it probably stock?

projectX 09-06-2011 09:07 AM

+1 ^^^

nastySS707 09-06-2011 09:24 PM

hotchkiss rear sway bar and lowering springs hotchkiss tubular under hood,nitto tires centerforce 2 clutch.. ya i wa gunna replace the lower control arms next

nastySS707 09-06-2011 09:31 PM

i also feel a shake in the front like something in the rim or the rim or front end feels like its shaking

BMR Sales2 09-07-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by nastySS707 (Post 15359118)
hotchkiss rear sway bar and lowering springs hotchkiss tubular under hood,nitto tires centerforce 2 clutch.. ya i wa gunna replace the lower control arms next

Originally Posted by nastySS707 (Post 15359151)
i also feel a shake in the front like something in the rim or the rim or front end feels like its shaking

Definitely get a set of lower control arms and relocation brackets, both will help with the wheel hop and the relocation brackets will help fix the lower control geometry since the car has been lowered. Now with the front end shake, does it do it while driving or under braking. If it does it while you are driving then it could be a tire or something worn out and if it it does it under braking you more than likely have some warped rotors.

pewter2002 09-07-2011 11:48 AM

With my old f bod ('83) I chased the bad wheel hop thing too- changed tires, shocks, turned out the LCA bushings were shot. Changing the bushings solved the hop issue, but my next and current ride I just upgraded the LCAs to tubular with poly rod-type (axle side) instead of trying to chase down higher durometer bushings and playing with an arbor press. BTW, my '83's rear grenaded shortly after a few nasty wheel hop instances... I'm not the only one reporting rear end failures due to bad wheel hop, so avoid pushing the car to the point of hop!

Sam Strano 09-07-2011 11:59 AM

Lots of things can cause or contribute to wheel-hop. LCA's might be the issue, they might not. Shocks effect it, as does the torque arm (stock are flimsy stamped parts, and they aren't unknown to crack). Also the front rubber bushing (stock) allows the nose of the TA to move around a lot. And when bolted to the transmission that movement is added as well.

Might LCA's fix it? Maybe, but not always. Depends on if it's coming from the LCA's to start with, and contrary to popular opinion that's not always the case. I don't have any wheelhop while lowered without LCA brackets and with GM arms (though with the better solid rubber 1LE type bushings).

FOSTER21 09-11-2011 10:46 AM

sounds like a bad torque arm bushing or its broke does it feel like there is a lot of clutch chatter

libertyforall1776 09-11-2011 12:55 PM

Check your trans mount integrity as well, in addition to what others have said -- both ends of the torque arm and the TA itself...

nastySS707 10-15-2011 03:42 PM

also the guy i bought it off did a 6 speed swap.. was an auto.. could that be a issue?