Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the sponsors on this site did a test on a 4th gen with lowered susp and performance shocks and measured a 1/4 in deflection under cornering forces. I can't find it, I'll keep searching, but I read the post here...
Edit; It was BMR and the reply was quoted in a similar thread on 10-01-2010

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Over the years this has definitely become a somewhat controversial mod. 12 years ago when we originally developed the strut tower brace for the 4th gen we measured almost 1/4" of strut tower movement on our test car equipped with higher rate springs and soft compound tires. If I remember correctly we were seeing over 1/8" movement even on the car in stock form when driven aggressively. If you are a drag racer, don't worry about it but if you like to push the car in the corners, it's probably the best $65 you'll spend....

Last edited by pewter2002; 10-12-2011 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lsx_penguin (06-30-2021)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
12 years ago when we originally developed the strut tower brace for the 4th gen
Strut?

Do I have the only 4th gen ever made with a front coil-over shock?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

shock, strut.. bla bla bla.. we know what they mean...
Old 10-12-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
shock, strut.. bla bla bla.. we know what they mean...
It's a HUGE difference in the way they act, react, mount and perform.

And that's the reason why a strut tower brace is almost mandatory and a shock tower brace is driveway jewelry.

Edit:
Sorry ...

Last edited by mitchntx; 10-12-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

^ Semantics. Read the full quote. According to BMR, enough stress is transmitted through the shock towers to cause a measurable amount of deflection DESPITE being a coilover design. Someone asked for proof of a STB being of any use at all b/c the loads are transmitted down through the K member/ chassis and NOT enough through the shock towers to warrant it. A major susp building manufacturer quoted the info from their own tests... Other than going out and repeating the test for myself somehow, I really don't know who to believe now. Respected road racers/chassis builders or a respected susp builder/supplier that specifically did a test and documented the results - hmmmmm...
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It's a HUGE difference in the way they act, react, mount and perform.

And that's the reason why a strut tower brace is almost mandatory and a shock tower brace is driveway jewelry.

Edit:
Sorry ...

Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
How would you even "test" to see if the STB "shows gains"?
That's a good question.. maybe create some sort of sliding two piece STB that doesn't provide rigidity. Have something tied around it.. drive it around hard.. then measure how much the "tie thing" moved?

Does this make any sense?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

It's funny, I was reading this thread and I was really buying the "shock tower braces are pointless" argument. My logic was:

- strut tower braces are good because they maintain geometry
- shock tower braces are pointless because suspension geometry isn't tied to the top of the strut in any way. Geometry depends only on the upper and lower a-arms, which I thought were connected to the k-member.

...and then I checked the drawing of the front suspension.

It turns out that the upper a-arm is actually connected to the top of the shock tower, not the k-member. Therefore, if the top of the shock tower moved, the suspension geometry would, in fact, change.

So I pose this question to the nay-sayers: why? What evidence do you have that negates this?

This is an honest question. I was on your side just 10 minutes ago. But now that I look, it seems that flex in our shock towers may have a very similar effect to flex in a strut tower.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Read my post below that I posted early. I'm not a big STB fan, but I'm not against them. But, I was thinking. A few people, including suspension vendors, have mentioned they had to jack the front of the car up in order to fit a STB brace on the car. That is showing their is SOME flex in the front end. So say it was installed just as a "strengthening" brace, and not a proven suspension benefit, just the same way people spend $150 to put a TA girdle on their 10 bolt, because they say it strengthens it, when nobody has real proof a TA girdle strengthens a weak 10 bolt. They just see 2 extra supports and think it must help, which is the same concept as a STB.

Playing devil's advocate here..

Originally Posted by HoLLo
My old 97 Trans Am came with a STB, and I rocked it for about a year and a half. I ended up taking it off and giving it to my friend and actually liked the ride BETTER WITHOUT IT. My personal experience, but I'm sure some of you here will tell me my personal experience is scientifically wrong.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"One mans Theology, is at the mercy of another mans personal experience"

The same could be stated here about a STB.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Launching!

I'm interested in seeing these "proven tests" that show the STB's do nothing on fbody's. Not being a dick, just genuinely curious.

How would you even "test" to see if the STB "shows gains"?
Originally Posted by z28bryan
That's a good question..
Strain gauge instrumentation. Supposedly done by engineery types in the past (I was not present). Mentioned / discussed a number of years ago on FRRAX.

Unbalanced Engineering reported that there was "almost no load" going through the STB.

Originally Posted by tecmec
So I pose this question to the nay-sayers: why? What evidence do you have that negates this?
Lateral loading versus vertical.

The 4th gen front end puts most of that 1.4+g (on Hoosiers) lateral loading seen in a corner through the K member.

The upper arm mount has bolt holes significantly larger than the through bolts yet we never see any movement up there so long as things are torqued properly.

However, just about every single one of us who has ever mounted up a set of large sticky tires on the front has had their alignment slip on the lower arm. This despite the lower arm having MUCH more clamping (larger bolts / washers at a greater torque value). This despite most of us going beyond the required factory torque setting.

Last edited by Ironhead; 10-13-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

I am going to use my current brace mounts and put on my own 3 piece cross bar that will show me movement, if any. I will post pics when I finish it.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, hasnt there been reports of people with 3 point STB cracked their winshields before on here? How would that happen if there is no flex/load going through them?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Also, hasnt there been reports of people with 3 point STB cracked their winshields before on here? How would that happen if there is no flex/load going through them?
Sure, tons of "reports". On this and every other forum. Never any verifiable evidence though.

Urban legend.

*shrug* Look.... if you (or anyone else) think you need one, buy one and be happy.

Just don't expect the rest of us, (whose self esteem is NOT dependent upon the interweb hordes agreeing with our decisions and patting us on the back for being clever), to agree with you when questions are asked.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Thats the reason I didnt get the 3point... I already replaced my glass once.. **** that. Ill be making a cross bar that will intentionally move and show how much afterwards. This should be sufficient proof as to their validity as a "suspenstion" versus "appearance" mod...
Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1/8" to 1/4" is a large amount of variance...

if the shock towers had that much relative movement, there are several points to consider:
- camber would become misaligned;
- that much movement would cause metal fatigue at the "hinge" point which would eventually fracture;
- the body panels would become misaligned.

Also think about this: the top of the shock towers support the weight of the front of the vehicle (1900lb...?)...
if the shock towers deflected so much/easily then there would be a serious problem and it would be pointless to get camber/caster aligned.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I was just doing a google trying to figure out why strut suspensions deflect so much more than our shock/a arm setups. Couldn't find too much. Would be nice to see some sort of diagram showing where force is applied comparing both types of suspensions.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Just don't expect the rest of us, (whose self esteem is NOT dependent upon the interweb hordes agreeing with our decisions and patting us on the back for being clever), to agree with you when questions are asked.
You think I bought a $50 shock tower brace to impress you and because I have low self esteem?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Way off-topic but, why did you post a link to your eBay feedback scores in your signature for?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Launching!

You think I bought a $50 shock tower brace to impress you and because I have low self esteem?
Ummm.. no, not at all. I think you're belaboring this because you (like many others) don't like that there isn't universal agreement with your choice.

I really don't care if you have the brace or not. I really don't care if ANYBODY has the brace on their car. If you feel you need it, great. If you like it, great.

I've had one on my car in the past. I don't have one now. I explained why. I'm comfortable with that and don't need others to support my viewpoint.

That's as far as it goes for me.

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace Bar?