Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What else to do on my Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What else to do on my Suspension

I am still working with my suspension so I was wonder I'm I missing some suspension part that should be on my dd?

Here is a list of what I have already:

bmr adj lca
bmr adj panhard bar
bmr rear sway bar
bmr adj torque arm
Boxed SFC
Control Arm Relocation Brackets, Bolt-on
Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, front sway bar? Also urethane control arm bushings, I guess from Energy Suspension. Strut tower brace (debatable)?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

A k member with poly mounts built on to the k member. Front sway bar. Strut tower brace like he said debatable. Upper and lower A-arms. A Drive shaft saftey loop(which will help tie the subframe connectors together if you have 3 point). This is all i can think off.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quality shocks
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would suggest koni yellow 4/4 shocks.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What are you looking to get out of your car? We have plenty of parts that will improve it in various areas.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
What are you looking to get out of your car? We have plenty of parts that will improve it in various areas.
Just basically a great handling dd. Parts that improve cornering, high speeds, launches etc.... I mean I am going to give this car hell when driving it on the weekend so I want to be secure with the suspension holding up in all area. I might end up making it a drag car in the future but not anytime soon.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Thanks to all who have replied....The car had new monroe shocks on it when it was purchase and the previous owner also lowered the car but he couldn't remember how low he dropped it.
Attached Thumbnails What else to do on my Suspension-004.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dkcoleman01
Thanks to all who have replied....The car had new monroe shocks on it when it was purchase and the previous owner also lowered the car but he couldn't remember how low he dropped it.
Monroe shocks are okay but there are definitely better options like Koni, Bilsteins, KYB, or Tokico shocks. You may want to look into these options if you dont get the feel/handling out of the car you want after you install all the other suspension stuff. You are also missing one important part on your list and that is a front sway bar. Upper and lower front a-arms on the car will also help out in the handling by allowing better alignment specs and better articulation. You may also want to look into a torque arm relocation crossmember so you can get the torque arm off the tailshaft of the transmission.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Monroe shocks are okay but there are definitely better options like Koni, Bilsteins, KYB, or Tokico shocks. You may want to look into these options if you dont get the feel/handling out of the car you want after you install all the other suspension stuff. You are also missing one important part on your list and that is a front sway bar. Upper and lower front a-arms on the car will also help out in the handling by allowing better alignment specs and better articulation. You may also want to look into a torque arm relocation crossmember so you can get the torque arm off the tailshaft of the transmission.
As far as the A arms which ones would be best for a dd? What's the part number for the A arms? The torque arm relocation crossmember I will definitely will be getting that.

Last edited by dkcoleman01; 01-20-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

As far as the A arms which ones would be best for a dd? What's the part number for the A arms? The torque arm relocation crossmember I will definitely will be getting that.
Kyle forgot to mention the other extreme benefit that contributes to handling, and that is the combined 7-pound reduction in unsprung weight. Best for the street are going to be the AA002, since they don't drop the car any. We have a 1-inch drop lower that will get the noes down approximately one inch. It's a nice way to lower a car on factory springs or to get the car sitting ultra low without changing the shock travel. For the uppers, the AA001 is going to have poly on both ends, making it a better street item than the AA004, but doesn't offer the adjustability of the latter.

The A-arms are icing on the cake, so to speak, with the handling. Once you get all the general bolt-on parts on there, the reduced unsprung weight and increased rigidity and articulation accuracy take it one step further. I would definitely start off with Bilsteins, Tokicos, or Konis along with a front sway bar and see how the car feels to you.

The torque arm relocation is an essential item IMO for anyone looking to take advantage of the LT1 or LS1 under the hood. The factory TA being mounted to the tailshaft looks bad on paper and performs even worse in practice. haha

Let me know if I can assist you with anything or if you have any questions,
-Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like your just tossing as many aftermarket parts on the car as you can
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Sounds like your just tossing as many aftermarket parts on the car as you can
It may seem like I am but I drive my car hard and fast sometimes and I don't need factory parts failing because GM decided to go with weak parts. The aftermarket parts are stronger and security plays a big role and how I drive. At the end of the day I know my suspension held up against my abuse

@ BMR Tech2 I appreciate your help... I will be ordering a couple of new parts in a few weeks.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It may seem like I am but I drive my car hard and fast sometimes and I don't need factory parts failing because GM decided to go with weak parts. The aftermarket parts are stronger and security plays a big role and how I drive. At the end of the day I know my suspension held up against my abuse

@ BMR Tech2 I appreciate your help... I will be ordering a couple of new parts in a few weeks.
Not all the factory parts are weak, we just look to improve upon them by either shedding weight, increasing their performance, or adding to their strength.

You're very welcome! Sounds like a plan!

Thanks,
Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

i suggest getting BMR's springs. im running them with KYB shocks. and love them, im also in the middle of installing there 1 inch lowering a arms. the car handles leaps and bounds over stock. and looks good to!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Depending on what you put on it, you could be putting on stuff that doesn't hold up as well as stock parts. I'm seeing quite a few mods being recommended in this thread that I wouldn't put on a hard driven DD, but that's just me. Others might not have the same opinion as me.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just basically a great handling dd. Parts that improve cornering, high speeds, launches etc.... I mean I am going to give this car hell when driving it on the weekend so I want to be secure with the suspension holding up in all area. I might end up making it a drag car in the future but not anytime soon.
You're definitely doing things "wrong" then and honestly wasting money.

Here is a list of what I have already:

bmr adj lca
What bushing? If poly, then you are only hurting ride and handling.
bmr rear sway bar
Again hurting handling/stability and ride quality. Their 25mm rear bar is generally too big for the aftermarket 35mm front bar, none the less the stock 32mm front bar. Get strano 35mm front/22mm rear swaybars.
bmr adj torque arm
Full length or short? If short then you are hurting handling and have potential to brake hop under heavy braking.

Boxed SFC
Does nothing.
Control Arm Relocation Brackets, Bolt-on
Another thing that hurts handling, youll be causing the car to push when entering corners and snap oversteer when exiting.

For a good handling/riding DD you NEED good quality shocks, period. That will be the #1 biggest difference you can make. And by quality shocks I don't mean over the counter autozone stuff, Im talking Koni SAs:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
These will make more of a difference than all those mods you listed combined, hands down. Then with some good springs (stranos) good matching swaybars (35/22mm) and sticky tires your will be making some C5 Z06 guys break a sweat in corners...
Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or bilsteins if you dont want to pay double lol
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Or bilsteins if you dont want to pay double lol
Well worth the money if you want the handling/stability/control and feel. Its not like they're just stiffer, its the way they work and how much(more) rate they can control. People say front Bilstiens feel similar to front Koni SA's when adjusted to full soft, and thats way not enough rebound for me even on stock springs (I run them closer full hard) and thats a HUGE difference, Id be disappointed if I were stuck with that(still way better than stock though). Its strait up ridiculous how hard you can push the car and how well it behaves with these shocks.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just saw your in st charles you ever go near stl to race?

Quick Reply: What else to do on my Suspension