Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

which type/brand of brake pads to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im planning on a C5 conversion for the front of my '95. I've already picked up hawk pads for the rear (keeping the stock rears) and plan on running powerslot rotors front and rear. I'll probably grab a set of stop tech pads for the front when I take the plunge after reading this.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
I'm going to try Stoptech this time around. I've been using Hawks for ages and I am looking for a better stopping performance. I know the trade off is more brake dust but I'm more into function over form.
Good to hear!

I have been using Hawk HP Plus for AutoX and light road racing and HPS pads on the street for years on my GTO and my Camaro and T/A. I really liked them because I bought them several times. haha But what happened was I was tired of swapping the HPS pads for the HP Plus pads when I would track it. I was looking for a pad that could do both without the crazy dust the HP Plus pads tend to throw. My car would fade the HPS pads because of my weight and speeds.

Well I worked on an article with StopTech - among other major performance brake manufacturers - and their engineer told me about their new pads they were beginning to include with their kits. The pads were rated to 1500-degrees before brake fade! This is the temperature that full-blown race cars can see at the edge of a braking zone after a few laps. In other words, the odds of a street car reaching the speeds and generating this amount of thermal energy are unlikely. I gave them a shot after hearing the facts because they said they offered more braking performance than the HPS pads, but were not as dusty as the HP Plus, which they admitted probably offered better torque.

Well I slapped them on with some PowerSlot rotors since they changed their design and are now the same metallurgy as StopTech rotors. These pads are almost fade-proof. I made repeated stops from 120+ to try and make them fade and got nothing. Then I took it out to the autoX we have locally that my 3800+ lb pig gets up to 85-95mph and hot laps - no fade. Took it to Gainesville road course - no fade. Went to Sebring last month and after 5 laps on my street tires - no fade. This is by far the best performing street pad I've had the pleasure of using. I don't want to say it's the best, but it certainly usurped the Hawk pads in my book. I still use Hawk DTC-70 pads at the track for serious road course duty on the slicks because they kick ***** and I wasn't happy with the Carbotech pads I used and my friend hated his new EBC race pads.

At least this is my opinion. I am confident you'll be extremly happy with the purchase of these pads. Please let me know what you think of them so I can add you to my list of people I've converted. haha jk

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, you most certainly make an interesting point and a very tempting challenge. Tell ya what, I'll swap out my GPs fronts IF I have enough money after getting this slow-camaro a new kit of grip.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 200 Posts

i have hawks now........but will give the stop techs a try next change
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
Kevin, you most certainly make an interesting point and a very tempting challenge. Tell ya what, I'll swap out my GPs fronts IF I have enough money after getting this slow-camaro a new kit of grip.
Haha, cool man. Yeah, I really like the Hawks a lot. I just tried these out once to see how they worked and it was a good solution to my pad problem. When it comes to that grip kit, I am sure I can help you out there if you're interested. Just let me know the type of parts you're looking for or what you plan to do and I'll see how I can help out.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: which type/brand of brake pads to buy