Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front suspension clunking after Bilsteins...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front suspension clunking after Bilsteins...

So after a long and difficult install, I finally got my Bilstein HD's on my car. It rides alot better, but makes a clunking noise from the front passenger side. I know I tightened down the shock nuts all the way, and tomorrow I'm going to confirm this when I take it all apart again. However, I was reading topics about shock install and have seen once or twice people saying not to tighten the shock nut using the hex fitting on the top, because it could break the shock internally.

I didn't do this on the drivers side (which isn't clunking), but did do it on the passenger side to save time because I couldn't get the wrench in there to tighten it.

I also replaced the shock isolator in the mount on both sides, so that eliminates that possibility, but could tightening the Bilstein that way damage the shock enough to make it clunk loudly and a bit violently when going over bumps??
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

had this same problem on driver front. I had previously taken the original equipment off to install new springs and shocks and after a couple of turns with all the rust I put it back together. After that made a violent clunking noise while driving and really bad when I hit a bump. Like I honestly thought the wheel was coming off. From what I gathered it can be caused be a damaged strut mount or that nut not being tight enough. I said screw it and bought all new strut mounts, isolators, and seats. Good to go now. Hopefully that will help you some with your noise
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same experience. Something was just left loose, a reinstall fixed it.
My car had the same clunk and felt like the wheel was going to fall off or something.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
My car had the same clunk and felt like the wheel was going to fall off or something.
Mine has that right now but it's stock. It wasn't the sway bar or the ball joints so I guess something has come loose.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Same problem here on the drivers front.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

my guess is the shock mount or sumtin loose but y didnt you just replace the mounts? they are pretty cheap. thats like putting headers on a car with a stock cat back...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ended up being the mount, replaced both sides and doesn't clunk anymore, thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: Front suspension clunking after Bilsteins...