Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone have cut springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have cut springs?

Wanting to lower my 02 camaro 4x4 lol. Im cheap and dont want to buy a $300 set of lowering springs, will the ride quality be a HUGE difference or will I hardly be able to tell. Im wanting a good size drop, 1.5"-2" not a slam just a tasteful stance. Any tips?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

the only "safe" cut on springs is 1 coil all the way around, and heater hose mod in the rear

however, youll be lucky to get 1" of drop... ill post pics of mine

HOWEVER I can say after a week with cut springs I now have 1 blown shocks, and had to order a set of shocks and figured if i had to hassle with it i would get springs as well

imo dont do it, my car rides like $hite... and save until you can get springs/shocks

also keep in mind i went to 17" wheels which helps fill the wheel wells more

ALSO 2" is a pretty radical drop after springs settle...

Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM

haha i was just browsing for more opinions on here and i saw a couple of threads youve posted it, seems like its split down the middle, many have done it and hated it and the other half have had no real change once they did it, however i am sick of the 3" stock ride height and i will probably go buy a heater hose right now lol
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IHallSS
haha i was just browsing for more opinions on here and i saw a couple of threads youve posted it, seems like its split down the middle, many have done it and hated it and the other half have had no real change once they did it, however i am sick of the 3" stock ride height and i will probably go buy a heater hose right now lol
what year/miles does your car have...?

If its got over 100k logged, ide just save yourself the time as cutting the springs is not a 30 min deal (backs are easy) fronts not so much

If youve got like 70k you may be fine... I just know how much time i wated doing it only to have buy new ones anyway haha
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got coilovers on the front and one coil cut on the back and the heater hose mod and it rides so much better than the prokit did.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM

currently i have a 3800 series 02 with around 120,000 miles, dont want to spend alot due to the fact that im saving for an LS1 swap, my car is in perfect condition besides the engine haha
Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IHallSS
currently i have a 3800 series 02 with around 120,000 miles, dont want to spend alot due to the fact that im saving for an LS1 swap, my car is in perfect condition besides the engine haha
Ide highly suggest against it. With those miles
Old 03-16-2012, 04:42 PM

how would that matter if I may ask? just the age of the springs or what? Maybe ill go pick up a pair of used springs from a junkyard and play around with those lol
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

It's not not the springs, it's the shocks. They will blow which means you will need new ones
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM

haha i just replaced my rear shocks about 200 miles ago!!! not fronts though, maybe ill switch those out and cut the springs then
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut my stock springs years ago when I bought my OE Wheels. I was also trying to get rid of the 4x4 look. I've since bought a Strano/Koni set up. I had my stock shocks also, but I didn't think the ride was all that bad. It was a cheap solution that I'd do again if I had to. I don't recall how low my car was back then. It wasn't ideal, but it worked and was free.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Old springs are a bit softer and shorter springs (cut) have less travel which is why aftermarket springs that lower ur car have to be a bit stiffer. Different spring stiffness and wheel travel usually means u need a diff shock as well. Ur gonna be lower if u cut but u will bottom out more easily and ur shock may not be designed to work at that length( it might bottom out internally). Not saying I'm sure it wouldn't all work ok but I know it'd be riskier for possible damage to shocks and car and even if no damage it would def ride a bit worse. This is without addressing suspension geometry changes which would also make it ride worse and break stuff like wearing ur tires prematurely if u don't align them.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're doing an LS1 swap in the future remember that the LS1 will weigh a little more (stock Z28 springs are stiffer than the stock V6 springs in the front, rears are the same). Keep that in mind.

Personally I wouldn't cut the springs.

My old 98 V6 didn't look too bad but it had saggy springs from the age and miles on it, so it self-lowered by like an inch lol

Quick Reply: Anyone have cut springs?