Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is it time to repalce my Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it time to repalce my Bilsteins

Fronts, my shocks are 10 years old with only 52,000 miles. The bottom of the shocks are very dusty from sticking to oil or gas from the shocks. The only thing that might be noticible from the ride is if i turn hard to the left to pass , i feel the front end Dip. The roads are so bad here that i wouldnt know just by normal driving if the are past due or worn out.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carefully but firmly push down on each corner of the car to test each shock/strut. Push down hard, let go, and let it rebound. If there is any more than 1 small rebound before the car is still (i.e. bouncing, boatyness) bad shocks. ESPECIALLY in these cars, the shocks are so stiff they should never be able to do that.

If you slam on the brakes and the nose of the car dives down terribly, bad shocks (at least fronts).

If you see oil or fluid leaking from the shocks odds are they are most likely toast and should be replaced.

Many easy ways to know if they are bad for the average guy. i mean just go off ride quality as well, if the car isn't riding good anymore and you owned it with good shocks obviously it might be time for new ones. 10 years / 50k is quite a while for shocks, some will last that long or longer but most will not.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might pass all those tests and they could still be worn. Check out the recent bilstien vs koni thread and ignore all the off topic stuff lol
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would probably replace them.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

KooL. Thattyll work

Quick Reply: Is it time to repalce my Bilsteins