Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension questions...

Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension questions...

I bought a 02 formula that has eibach sport lines on it and I hate the way the car rides. I'm wanting to change the springs,struts and shocks. I like the lowered look but not this much of a drop. My car is not a track car but I do want to play with it so I want a suspension that will help it transfer a little better but not unstable cause its a DD. Before we start talking high dollar I'm also going to want a ORY and a cam. Right now all I can spare is $2500 for these projects.

In order of importance is suspension,ory then cam.

Any help on ideas for where and what kind on suspension would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjohn
I bought a 02 formula that has eibach sport lines on it and I hate the way the car rides. I'm wanting to change the springs,struts and shocks. I like the lowered look but not this much of a drop. My car is not a track car but I do want to play with it so I want a suspension that will help it transfer a little better but not unstable cause its a DD. Before we start talking high dollar I'm also going to want a ORY and a cam. Right now all I can spare is $2500 for these projects.

In order of importance is suspension,ory then cam.

Any help on ideas for where and what kind on suspension would be appreciated.
Search the suspension section.
The "best" all around ride quality is going to come from stock springs (which sit pretty high) and good quality shocks (like Bilstien HD/SLP's or Koni SA's).
The least "extreme" lowering springs are probably the SLP springs, seem to range from a 1/2" to a 3/4" drop over stock. Hotchkiss also makes a good spring with a 1" drop (but some see more like 1.2-1.5" drop with them). There is also the popular option of Strano springs (1.2" drop), made ground up for handling, and have multiple national SCCA wins on them, so they are certainly more than proven. Now don't let that scare you away, they are far from the stiffest springs available, they are made for neutral handling and great balance and are very streetable. I have them with Koni SAs and can't say enough great things about them, this car doesn't even feel like an Fbody anymore...
All this can be bought here: www.stranoparts.com. If you give Sam Strano (the one with the multiple SCCA wins, hes also a site sponsor)a call he will be glad to walk you through any suspension needs you have, just be specific and don't just say "I want better", tell him exactly what you want to change, what you are expecting and what you don't like.

Also if you are concerned with ride quality or handling at all stay away from drag shocks like QA1s, Afco, and Strange, and the low end cheap autozone shocks as you will be just wasting money.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

PM Sam Strano and talk to/call him about your suspension. He can help you more than just about anyone here.

For your ORY and cam, I'd check out Texas Speed. They'll help you with anything you need.

Personally, I'd go with Strano springs (little taller and stiffer than Eibach's I think), Bilstein shocks (or Koni SA, if you don't mind the price jump), and UMI for anything else suspension-wise. TSP Y-pipe and one of TSP's camshafts should work great. (If you aren't looking to play with your computer tuning, you may have to look around for a different cam; can't remember if all TSP's require tuning.)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey there, what are you looking to use your car for? There are bunch of options out there, and not every selection will be right for your application, even if it's a great part.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the mention NMoose.

Johnjohn, give us a call and we can get you tuned up. Or give us more detail on here and we'll overload you with info.

Ramey
Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. I'll be hitting these guys up in the morning.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice talking with you this morning!
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Search this Thread