Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension troubles, Experts I need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suspension troubles, Experts I need help

Tried a search no definate answer, When I get into some higher speed corners the car skitters or slides over any bump no matter how small at all.
Any ideas its an 02 ws6 and it does have the stock shocks are they my problem??
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

has it always done this? this is an issue because of the panhard bar design in our cars. scares the s*** out of me sometimes.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive only had it a year but yes it has, what can be done to stop it??
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

no its cause your shocks are bad and your bushings could be worn too
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

With the limited description, I can assume that your mean the car gets unsettled under cornering forces when negotiating bumps? This is usually a shock issue because of poorly set rebound - something the factory DeCarbons are a poster child for. However, the panhard bar bushings could be warn out, causing the rearend to walk around more than normal. From the factory, the panhard will want to scoot around because of the bar's design and its bushings. When the bushings start to degrade (because rubber DOES have an expiration date!) the rubber will become softer and more brittle, allowing the rearend to have more lateral movement than before. The same can be said for the lower control arms and its bushings as well.

The bushings are an easy thing to check. Go under your car and visually inspect each bushing. Look for cracking and grab the bar and try to twist it. If there is anything out of the ordinary, you should look into replacing the bushings or going with an aftermarket tubular bar. If you don't find anything wrong, then you can safely assume it's your orange little shocks GM thought were a good idea to install on the car. Should it come down to this, there are plenty of shock options out there and I could help you look for something within your budget.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
With the limited description, I can assume that your mean the car gets unsettled under cornering forces when negotiating bumps? This is usually a shock issue because of poorly set rebound - something the factory DeCarbons are a poster child for. However, the panhard bar bushings could be warn out, causing the rearend to walk around more than normal. From the factory, the panhard will want to scoot around because of the bar's design and its bushings. When the bushings start to degrade (because rubber DOES have an expiration date!) the rubber will become softer and more brittle, allowing the rearend to have more lateral movement than before. The same can be said for the lower control arms and its bushings as well.

The bushings are an easy thing to check. Go under your car and visually inspect each bushing. Look for cracking and grab the bar and try to twist it. If there is anything out of the ordinary, you should look into replacing the bushings or going with an aftermarket tubular bar. If you don't find anything wrong, then you can safely assume it's your orange little shocks GM thought were a good idea to install on the car. Should it come down to this, there are plenty of shock options out there and I could help you look for something within your budget.

- Kevin
Thanks Kevin may I send you a pm to discuss further?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by gs462
Thanks Kevin may I send you a pm to discuss further?
You're welcome, and absolutely.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Kevin sent a PM did you get it??
Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by gs462
Kevin sent a PM did you get it??
Yes, I was in the middle of writing you a long response and then I stepped out for a bit. I come back, someone logged into my computer and I LOST the PM reply...now I'm writing it all over again. haha You will have it soon. I just got into the office.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Suspension troubles, Experts I need help