Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm bushing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque arm bushing

So I tore up my torque arm bushing pretty good when I broke my driveshaft which in return beat the hell out of the torque arm. So I got on jegs today and was looking at poly torque arm bushings but it only comes with the rubber part. Do I reuse my stock bushing clamshells and if so how do I? Any help appreciated
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You will definitely reuse the factory clamshell mount. You will want to chisel or grind down the rivets which will allow the rubber inserts to come off the factory clamshell mount. Once this is done you will be to use the solid one-piece polyurthane bushing in the factory clamshell mount and it will bolt up like normal.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i recommend having a friend help you. i had my car on 6 ton jack stands and was by myself. i had a hard time installing it. i ended up drilling the hole on the clamshell bigger cause mine wouldnt line up and the bolt wouldnt go in.

oh and i put the poly bushing on the tq arm first cause the tq arm wouldnt push in with the bushings in the clamshell.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this were me, I wouldn't hesitate...I would get that arm off the trans and onto the chassis. You can guy the mount with the driveshaft loop as well. It isn't cheap...but it gets rid of a major issue in my opinion. No need putting that kind of torque in the trans when it can go directly to the chassis.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
If this were me, I wouldn't hesitate...I would get that arm off the trans and onto the chassis. You can guy the mount with the driveshaft loop as well. It isn't cheap...but it gets rid of a major issue in my opinion. No need putting that kind of torque in the trans when it can go directly to the chassis.
I agree completely that this is the best option performance-wise but alot of people don't have the budget to do it or don't like the additional NVHs it creates.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kyle, I was assuming this was more of a race car...but I completely agree with you. NVH would be a real bitch. But in your opinion, is it worse than using a urethane mount on the trans? That was absolutely horrible in my car. I mean HORRIBLE. Factory mount is smooth as butter.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I agree completely that this is the best option performance-wise but alot of people don't have the budget to do it or don't like the additional NVHs it creates.
I have the budget for it the only problem is I have tsp true duals so idk how the body mount torque arms will work with my exhaust some insight would be nice tho cuz I no I'm not the only one trying to go fast with with td's
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i did mine recently and it was great noticeable difference. word of advice be very careful when you drill or grind the rivets off , i bent mine and then struggled for like ever and then had my bro look at the clam-shell and have to straighten it in the vice ,

Take the cross member down makes it so much easier , and all these internet ase technicians that say they do it with it still there are full of it , take 4 bolts and a nut off and take it down .
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replys and input everyone I appreciate it. not being told to go search like some of the other members say is a nice change
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
NVHs ?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cheezebandit
NVHs ?
NVH is an acronym for "Noise, Vibration, Harshness"

Quick Reply: Torque arm bushing