Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about Koni SA up front and DA in the rear?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Question about Koni SA up front and DA in the rear?

So I'm going to lower my car as soon as I get home from Afghanistan. Was going to use the Eibach Pro Kit because I've used it in the past with happy results paired with bilsteins. I was wanting to use Koni's because the budget will allow and was going to stick with the Pro Kit because I like the stance. I was thinking I could use the SA in the front since an engine swap shouldn't make a big difference but I do plan to upgrade to a 9" or something similar in the rear. I have searched and found mixed opinions on the DA vs SA. Alot of what I have read the consinsus is that the DA controls a heavier rear end than the SA but the DA doesn't offer an advantage to a closely stock weight front end. So, this leaves me unsure. Should I run SA up front and DA out back, or the same front and rear? Just curious to know because suspension is not my specialty and I know the look I want just want handling to match. Different springs are not an option. The pro kit gives the look I'm going after just trying to match the Koni's best as possible. Thanks guys, I know this was long but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Thanks again for any input and all the help.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I'd avoid the Pro-Kit. The stance doesn't change much (.5" or so, at most) going to a better set of springs but it will change the ride quality a lot. I believe there are also ways to lower the car such as the rubber hose mod. I know what you said, but I'm only trying to help because I know the difference. I have Eibachs on mine, and once I rode in a friend's car with the Koni/Strano setup, I went and purchased the same setup. If you want good handling, you will not be pleased with the Eibachs.
Eibachs:

Stranos:

As for your other question, I'd actually recommend getting your (MWC) 9" lightened by using the aluminum case, and getting the SA shocks. This'll keep it pretty close to the stock weight, and you'll have a much more reliable shock.

Last edited by Azar_Hawke; 05-16-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not concerned with getting the best ride comfort. I'm trying to get the best handling out of the look I want and the other future mods I have planned.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Ok. I misunderstood you.

Best of luck to you then. I'm still recommending getting your (MWC) 9" lightened by using the aluminum case, and getting the SA shocks. This'll keep it pretty close to the stock weight, and you'll have a much more reliable shock. Not sure if you saw that at the bottom of my post.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I gotta tell you...that Eibach stance looks really really good to me.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
Ok. I misunderstood you.

Best of luck to you then. I'm still recommending getting your (MWC) 9" lightened by using the aluminum case, and getting the SA shocks. This'll keep it pretty close to the stock weight, and you'll have a much more reliable shock. Not sure if you saw that at the bottom of my post.
Yeah, this does seem to be the best idea. Putting a rear end in my car won't be something that gets done for another year or two anyway so the SA will suit me just fine before and after. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I think the 3rd gen SA rear shock may hold up better in the long term in performance applications. Those are the off car adjustable. I'm not 100% sure though, just a general idea I've picked up about monotube vs twin tube shocks. The 3rd gen rear SA is monotube while the on car adjustable DA and SA shocks are twin tube.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else have any input.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
So I'm going to lower my car as soon as I get home from Afghanistan. Was going to use the Eibach Pro Kit because I've used it in the past with happy results paired with bilsteins. I was wanting to use Koni's because the budget will allow and was going to stick with the Pro Kit because I like the stance. I was thinking I could use the SA in the front since an engine swap shouldn't make a big difference but I do plan to upgrade to a 9" or something similar in the rear. I have searched and found mixed opinions on the DA vs SA. Alot of what I have read the consinsus is that the DA controls a heavier rear end than the SA but the DA doesn't offer an advantage to a closely stock weight front end.
Single adjustable Konis adjust rebound only and have a fixed compression, double adjustble Konis adjust rebound and compression independently. Compression dampening deals with unsprung weight (sprung weight being what sits on top of the springs, like the car itself, and unsprung being whats on the opposite end, being wheels/tires, some suspension, and the solid axle). Rebound deals with how the spring react to sprung weight, and compression deals with how the springs act to unsprung weight.

So adding/loosing weight over the front end isn't going to effect what you need for compression dampening, unless you are adding heavier wheels.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

I would go with the Koni SA front and rear. I suggest the koni 4/4, which I just purchased from Sam Strano myself along with his springs, hollow sway bars. Also picked up a set of UMI dbl adj LCA's with relo brackets. I too will be installing everything when I return from Afghanistan. Less than two months!

I know you said you want the pro kit and you aren't open to other options but I would stongly suggest the strano springs. Especially since you mentioned you are looking for the best handling possible. The eibachs are a far inferior spring. Stano has them made to the exact specifications that he won his SCCA championships with by Vogtland out of Germany.

Also, the previous picture of the stranos doesn't do them much justice. I personally think they give the car a perfect stance.

I've attached a better picture of a koni/strano setup. I believe this is a members car so I hope they don't mind me using the photo. Sorry about the attachment, I can't access photobucket or similar sites here in Afghan.

Question about Koni SA up front and DA in the rear?-206528101bzpmwa_ph.jpg

Last edited by redlineracing; 05-19-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Koni SA up front and DA in the rear?