Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

About to buy SLP SFC's..Last min. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default About to buy SLP SFC's..Last min. HELP!

I'm thinking of ordering SLP's SFC's and read that they are 20lbs each? Is that amt. of weight bad for the overall performance? If so who has SFC's that are lighter than that? And finally, i was reading the install for them and it is talking about grinding down the a lip, this isnt bad for the car? I didnt really want to get into drilling out holes and what not. Let me know, thanks all!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest getting the SLP bolt-on's or Don Goetz bolt-on's, not sure which install you were reading but here's a SLP write up. http://users3.ev1.net/~cnl1/firehawk/subframe/index.htm

Al
Old 03-30-2004, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the SLP sub bolt on's. They are made very well. I would get the beefiest ones u can to stiffen the chassis.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want bolt on's, I'd say go with SLP in this case. I have the jegster's, and during the install, Dark Age 53 and Smokin Joes pointed out the difference between mine and the SLP's, and the SLP's seemed a ton easier to install. And 20 lbs doesnt' sound too heavy, mine are definately way more than that!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, SLP Bolt ons being ordered tomorrow, one last question, LMPerformance has them for 290 or suttin close to that yet LS1Speed.com has them for 250, am i gonna regret gettin them from the cheaper site or should i go for it? Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Ok, SLP Bolt ons being ordered tomorrow, one last question, LMPerformance has them for 290 or suttin close to that yet LS1Speed.com has them for 250, am i gonna regret gettin them from the cheaper site or should i go for it? Thanks for all the help!

I installed the SLP bolt on SFC last week. I didn't grind down that lip at all. Aslo, only had to Drimmel one of the predrilled holes to make it match up with the crossbrace hole. Do that, I stripped one of my crossbrace holes during install cause it was slightly angled, so only 3 bolts holding the center rather than 4...not good.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

The pass side took little while to install. First side I done and actually the first set of SFC's I ever put on. The drivers side went on twice as fast but we had to cut the plate (mod it a little) that goes around the fuel lines. You will notice a big diff. in the way the car rides.
Two suggestions though: Have a buddy help you out if possible and don't bolt everything down tight (with permatex red) till you get all the bolts started and snug.
I had no problems with the center brace though...............good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
or suttin
Who is that?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
Who is that?
Who is what? If your refferring to my internet slang i meant "or something" LOL but otherwise LS1Speed? I dont know thats why i was asking they have a cheaper price than LMPerformance and i dont want to recieve chipped up SFC's or bent or anything like that. Anyone know?
Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Kenny brown Double Diamonds. They cost more but from an engineering perspective they are probably the best you can get and will tie the car together very well. Anything "bolt on" will not perform as well as "weld in"
Old 04-14-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

I just ordered the SLP bolt ons, someone was telling me that they will eventually stretch out the holes, is that true?!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
I just ordered the SLP bolt ons, someone was telling me that they will eventually stretch out the holes, is that true?!
We installed a set of SLP bolt-on SFC on a friends SS, he has over 30K miles on them and there as tight as the day we installed them. It's worth mentioning that he drives his SS hard and has had no problems.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Yea, when i bought my car 2 years ago, i wanted to do the bolt on sfc's but my dad told me it would stretch the holes too, so i didnt, now i got them anyways b/c so many people told me it was the first thing i shoulda done, bolt ons or not....i have them on now and the car is gonna be on the road again as of tomorrow. I'll let you know how they hold up but i dont think there will be any problems. Worst case, if they do stretch the holes, weld em on. Who cares if they arent "weld ons", my buddy does welding and he said it wouldnt be a problem.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BadMoFo
If you want bolt on's, I'd say go with SLP in this case. I have the jegster's, and during the install, Dark Age 53 and Smokin Joes pointed out the difference between mine and the SLP's, and the SLP's seemed a ton easier to install. And 20 lbs doesnt' sound too heavy, mine are definately way more than that!
What problems did you have with installing Jegsters?

Quick Reply: About to buy SLP SFC's..Last min. HELP!