Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tire rub... stiffer shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rub... stiffer shocks?

alright guys new to the whole forum scene but really need some help. just bought a 2000 z28 camaro and need some advice with some shocks. i have tire rub in the rear... enough to slit one of my rear tires pretty good. i also have a lot of squeaking going over the speed bumps in my apartment complex. i am looking for a stiffer shock and yes i believe the car was lowered before i got it but not sure. thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Stiffer shocks isn't the answer.
What size wheels, and tire size do you have in the rear?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM

255 45 18
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made a thread about this as I myself am getting cuts in my tires too and worse! https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post16630606
Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are the fender lips rolled, which side is rubbing, and do you have a adjustable PHB?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree, changing the compression settings is not the right way to handle a tire clearance issue. You would have to find a compression adjustable set of shocks and you'd make the car ride harsher, the tires would skip along the pavement at their limit (bad handling), and you might still have rubbing. I also don't think stiffer spring changes are the answer. You can do these and you may help minimize the issue but at what cost?

Which side is the tire rubbing? Driver or passenger or both? Inner or outer fenders? Adjustable PHB can help shift your rear end one way or another to gain clearance.

What kind of wheels do you have? What is the offset? If the offset is a lower number then they will mount wider. Higher offset, they will mount more tucked in the vehicle.

255/45-18 is a little taller than stock tire size specs. Stock diameter is 25.7 inches while your tire is 27 inches tall. If the tires are older, consider getting new tires with a stock range tire height. This will help clearance a little.

Do you have bumpstops still intact? Since it's a z28, you should see a triangular shaped yellowish rubber/foam bumpstop right at the bottom edge of the inner fender on both sides. If that's not there, then you could get a replacement bumpstop in there which would definitely help.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

The simple fact is the tires and the offsets of the wheels don't fit the car correctly and when at full compression the two come in contact. Shocks won't stop it, they slow movement, they don't limit it. WAY stiffer springs might help, but only because you just made the rear of the car so much stiffer it doesn't want to move (which is a quick way to a lousy handling, lousy riding car).

You could well be hitting because of the arcing motion the body travels in up and down as it compresses. Statically the axle can be nice and centered, but as the body moves it swings side to side... this is a function of a Panhard bar (any PHB, not just a particular one). Watts links make the body go straight up and straight down. On my car I found that I was getting 3/4" of lateral movement through the range of motion. Consequently I had to set my PHB (when I had one) long to skew the axle so my tires didn't hit. Once the Watts went on, I centered everything up, took wheel spacers OUT, and still no rubbing.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM

well im rolling my fenders today and the majority of the rub is coming from the passenger side. the car already has an all around rough ride you can feel every bump in the road and when you accelerate quickly you can feel the rear end drop down which is why i was planning on replacing the shocks regardless... not to mention the horrible squeak going over speed bumps.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

The squeaking might be you swaybar bushings just needing to be lubed. IMO, I'd get under the rear(jacks or ramps) and give everything a good look, and take photos and post them (if possible) to help us, help you get to the bottom of your issues.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem. Air bags were a cheap, easy, and adjustable fix.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/

Quick Reply: tire rub... stiffer shocks?