Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some help with a "clunking" noise please

Old 04-10-2004, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with a "clunking" noise please

A few months ago i partially broke the stock torque arm loose from the rear and every time i would come to a stop i would get a *clunk* *clunk* when the nose of the car would drop, then another *clunk* *clunk* when the stop was complete and the nose of the car came back up. Gradually the clunking got worse when going over bumps especially in reverse. This *clunk* noise came from the area rear of the transmission (under the center console). The clunking was also sometimes accompanied by multiple *clunk/tink* noises similar to a driveshaft "tinking" while going over bumps especially with a passenger in the front seat.

I have recently replaced the stock torque arm with a Spohn #405 and the stock aluminum driveshaft with a Denny's Nitrous ready. The car was silent for a couple days and the *clunk* came back, exact same spot, exact same sounds. I suspected when the torque arm originally broke loose it threw the pinion angle WAY off causing the driveshaft to bind in the front U-joint. Today I adjusted the torque arm both ways from 1 degree to 5 degrees and I still get the same sounds, and just like before it gets worse with a passenger. The torque arm is tight and greased properly.

If anyone can shed any light on this subject I would really appreciate it. I am now leaning more toward a worn/broken transmission mount, but it doesn't make sense why the noise would happen over bumps or during braking. Thank you once again.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 04-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
I am now leaning more toward a worn/broken transmission mount, but it doesn't make sense why the noise would happen over bumps or during braking.
Thats what I'm thinking based on what you've done so far.
(I'm no expert either.)

--VIP1
Old 04-12-2004, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I have the same exact problem you are having but I did just have my transmission removed and replaced. So maybe it is the mounts. Let me know when you find the answer.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its got to be the torque arm....My car was silent till the install of my spohn....now it is a little clunky...make sure the two bolts that go through the poly-bushings are tight!! I set mine at 30lbs like they said and it was very loud, more so in reverse!! Then I read on here to make sure there tight...I did so now it is much quiter by far!!!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only problem I have with my spohn is the damn drivesaft loop touchs my slp y-pipe!!!!I am so ready to cut it of!! What a waste of 40$$
Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

I am taking the car in for a full tune and a rear end service in the next week. I will have them check the suspension and see if they can find any solution. Any other suggestions till then would me much appreciated so i can ask them to check a few things out. Thanks again.

Ross
Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I'm going in this saturday to put the car on an alignment rack and tighten pretty much every bolt I can get a wrench around. Right now I am getting the clunking rattling sound you are describing. I am nearly 80% sure it is the LCA's. I'll let you know.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

I finally have an update for the strange clunk. I actually found the problem by accident tonight. I was pulling the driveshaft when I felt one of the trans mount bolts that screw into the transmission. I felt the washer between the bolt and the transmission spin. It turns out that both of the bolts somehow backed themselves out the transmission.

The bolts are somewhat hidden behind the crossmember and I never thought to look because I thought the problem was driveshaft or torque arm related. After cranking them back down I drove the car about a mile and zero clunk/clank noises during breaking, bumps or reverse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some help with a "clunking" noise please