Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjusting UMI Roto-Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adjusting UMI Roto-Joints?

Since I have a little down time with my car, I decided to disassemble/clean/adjust my poly/roto-joint control arms.

Any guides on how to adjust the roto-joints? Searching but not finding much.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

What kind of adjustment? Its left-loosey, righty-tighty.

The tool UMI sells is very helpful. It fits into the holes/notches in the face to allow you to tighten/loosen the joint. Use an Allen key/wrench to loosen the lock screw before attempting to loosen the side-plate and then re-tighten it after you tighten the side plate.

Make sure to put a thin layer of grease on all the parts before you reassemble the roto-joint. Then pump in some grease via the zerk fitting as well. I typically use red Mobil 1 Synthetic.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, I know right to tighten and to give it all a coating of synthetic grease. But *how* tight should the joint be?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

Well, it's all back together now anyway. Cleaned them up and made them just slightly more snug than they were when I took them apart.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I'd say snug. Don't kill it. There is a spring clip in there as well.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 AM
FormerVendor

For any UMI advice, you can always email ramey@umiperformance.com and I'll do my best to answer.

The guys were pretty spot on above. The Roto-Joint V1 has a wave ring. Version 2 has a set screw. A thin coat of grease and a quarter turn past where you came from usually is sufficient. They can be tighter than you think. The car can move the joint a lot more easily than your fingers can.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks. I have V2, with the set screw. One question though; one of the roto-joints threaded plates has set screw points in 4 places at 90* angles, one only has 2, 180* apart. It's not an issue as it is now, because it lined up right, but I'm assuming the 4 point one allows finer adjustment. Could I swap out that part?

One other change I made: I had clunking in the rear since installing all my rear suspension. I chalked it up to aftermarket parts transmitting more NHV, and thought the adjustable torque arm had a bit of slop in the adjusters. When I had the arms out, I measured the inside diameter of the bolt holes in the arms, and found them to be 1/2".

The original bolts that came with the arms had a noticeable amount of slop in the arms themselves, but were tight in the body mounting holes. I had tried tightening them almost until the point of breaking the bolt and could not get rid of the noise.

I re-drilled the mounting holes in the body to 1/2" and installed 1/2" grade 8 hardware. The 1/2" hardware fit the arms nearly perfectly. It was a bit tougher to get things to line up but not impossible.

After a test ride, I'm happy to report that *all* of the clunking is gone. Everything is quiet and smooth. The clunking was *not* the roto-joint, as there was no slop in it; it was still tight. I was waiting on other parts so while I had the down time I decided to clean 'em out and re-grease them.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

^^^ been preaching this for yrs now.........no one seems to listen
Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-lca-slop.html
Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, saw that thread after I re-invented the wheel.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can do the PHB too !!! i did
Old 10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Might look into that tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM
FormerVendor

The 1/2" bolt upgrade from 12mm is somewhat common. When we designed the Roto-Joint we made the hole through the spherical ball the same size as factory.

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Ok, thanks. I have V2, with the set screw. One question though; one of the roto-joints threaded plates has set screw points in 4 places at 90* angles, one only has 2, 180* apart. It's not an issue as it is now, because it lined up right, but I'm assuming the 4 point one allows finer adjustment. Could I swap out that part?

One other change I made: I had clunking in the rear since installing all my rear suspension. I chalked it up to aftermarket parts transmitting more NHV, and thought the adjustable torque arm had a bit of slop in the adjusters. When I had the arms out, I measured the inside diameter of the bolt holes in the arms, and found them to be 1/2".

The original bolts that came with the arms had a noticeable amount of slop in the arms themselves, but were tight in the body mounting holes. I had tried tightening them almost until the point of breaking the bolt and could not get rid of the noise.

I re-drilled the mounting holes in the body to 1/2" and installed 1/2" grade 8 hardware. The 1/2" hardware fit the arms nearly perfectly. It was a bit tougher to get things to line up but not impossible.

After a test ride, I'm happy to report that *all* of the clunking is gone. Everything is quiet and smooth. The clunking was *not* the roto-joint, as there was no slop in it; it was still tight. I was waiting on other parts so while I had the down time I decided to clean 'em out and re-grease them.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

the stock metric bolt is smaller than the hole in the arm......even in the STOCK arm

Quick Reply: Adjusting UMI Roto-Joints?