LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Massive Brake issue (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1605410-massive-brake-issue.html)

LS1Adam84 12-03-2012 09:00 PM

Massive Brake issue

I searched, believe me I searched. I am in the midst of doing a t56 swap and removed my pedals all nice and fany, while they were out I should have drilled the hole for bleeding the slave (I decided to drill into the floor board to make it a one man job since I have a nice rubber grommet to fill in the hole. At any rate I went back after installing the pedals and having the pushrod at the correct height.

I removed the lever to give me some more room to play with, to drill the access hole. Now the rod is stuck all the way out and I cannot get the rod to seat back on the brake pedal.

Right now I have the master cyl off of the booster and the vacuum line disconnected and the car off. How can I get the rod back to normal?

eb110americana 12-03-2012 11:23 PM

You'll probably wind up removing the brake booster. I've done it a couple of times before while just swinging the master cylinder out of the way. It's not too bad. You're part of the way there, you just have to remove three nuts above the brake pedal and there is a clip to disconnect the pedal from the rod. Just be careful not to shift the rod away from center as you pull the unit out. I think I pushed it the other way (in) by mistake and knocked the large plunger loose and had to re-center it before placing the master cylinder back on. I'm not sure what is going on in your case though.

Rated Z 12-08-2012 12:45 PM

I was thinking of doing a t56 swap but I think I would trade my car before that. Anyways how much did you spend for all the parts? Also how long have you been working on it? and could you upload any pictures? I'm interested to see the progress you will make! Thanks.:D

LS1Adam84 12-30-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by eb110americana (Post 16947993)
You'll probably wind up removing the brake booster. I've done it a couple of times before while just swinging the master cylinder out of the way. It's not too bad. You're part of the way there, you just have to remove three nuts above the brake pedal and there is a clip to disconnect the pedal from the rod. Just be careful not to shift the rod away from center as you pull the unit out. I think I pushed it the other way (in) by mistake and knocked the large plunger loose and had to re-center it before placing the master cylinder back on. I'm not sure what is going on in your case though.

I disconnected the master cyl and turned the car on and relieved pressure. I then put it all back together and it was set correctly.

Originally Posted by Rated Z (Post 16960780)
I was thinking of doing a t56 swap but I think I would trade my car before that. Anyways how much did you spend for all the parts? Also how long have you been working on it? and could you upload any pictures? I'm interested to see the progress you will make! Thanks.:D

I wish I would have taken pics. I spent a couple weeks on it but I would get home from work and only have about 2 hours to work on the car. I removed the trans about 4 times trying to track down my issue I had, well I found that the McLeod Super street clutch setup needs either the McLeod master or a tick. THe car is perfect now

I spent about $300 on the swap lol about $1500 in parts but I sold my fully built 4L60E and torque converter for $1000 plus the McLeod clutch to a friend the clutch had 5 miles on it lol.

I got the trans for $800 with all the sensors and bellhousing. I got a killer deal on everything.

It is a really easy swap I had it done in about 2 days working on it for about 8 hours each day, that is including removing my rear cover to replace the rear main seal and gasket, then repair the rear cover since it was partly stripped out.

If you have any questions I can answer them but I did not have time for pictures sadly.