Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

F-Body Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-Body Coilovers

Been thinking about this lately. The 4th Gen F-Car LT and LS platform has been around for about 20 years now.... Why don't we have an affordable, "Box Set" ready to bolt in set of coilovers for $800-$1200?

Why doesn't Koni offer this? Our only other option is KW V3's and those are ungodly expensive. Most of the F-car world has shallow pockets, so I think the $800-$1200 price range is accurate.

I've seen some QA1 "Street" sets, and seen some people mix and match between a custom coil and the QA1 shocks, but it all just seems like a hassle.

What gives? I mean, I want a decent set that handles good. But I want my car a bit lower than most of the good springs out there. I know some will argue that a correct height is there for a reason with spring rates and all.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Because they'd be junk.... That's what all $800-1200 coil-over tend to be. We know Koni Sports rock it, and they are dampers only and cost that. Koni has had plans forever for the STR.T's for this car, but never went through with building them. If they had, they'd still have been around $600 based on where the STR.T's line up with Sports on an S197 Mustang (where they are both made).

QA1 shocks are one of the examples of not a very good shock you are paying for the bling. The price difference between those and KW's in in the fact KW's are really good, really well performing dampers like a Koni... with a lifetime warranty, a gas-charge, stainless steel bodies, etc...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I thought KW V3's were more than $2250. Actually not that bad, considering.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

You could put ground controls adapters on the front.

I think afco makes a coil over set-up for these cars.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

On the front of what? Koni's will work.. but you have to modify the shock to install a sleeve and that technically kills the warranty.

Remember that "coil-overs" are both the shock and the spring setup... but too many people just think of them as adjustable for springs and that all the shocks are the same. They... are.... not...

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Are the coil overs worth the money?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Can't answer that.... Depends on few things. What coil-overs????????? What use? How important is ride height adjustment vs. really good control?

That question is far to broad, it's like asking are faster cars better? They can be... they might suck to drive.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the purpose of discussion, what does a set of something like Penske coil overs cost? I remember them not being super hateful.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Way more than KW's... if they are adjustable. And Penske doesn't sell ready to go shocks, it's up to the seller or buyer to determine valving and that's the hard part. And no lifetime warranty, etc.

Also, I've whipped up on smaller guys in lighter cars (one notable case where the other guy and his car were 300 pounds less than me in my car) with triple Penske's to win National Championships.... and it's not like those guys sucked, each has no fewer than 3 National Championships of their own in other classes.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Default adjustable rear coil springs

Has anyone used these before, it looks like a nice setup for cheaper adjustable rear coil and shock setup. Then you can just buy the front coilovers for real cheap...http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=820
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

^^^ Has anyone looked at these adjustable rear coils? It looks like it could be a good cheap way of a rear coil adjusment
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Because they'd be junk.... That's what all $800-1200 coil-over tend to be.
I was really hoping to find a reasonable set of coilovers for my 94 Trans that I am setting up as a beginner autoX car.

What do you think of the Bilstein/Eibach Shock and Spring set that SLP sells?? See link below if not familiar.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product_site.asp?P=70002

I have heard that you are the go to guy for making these cars corner... is that set a reasonable place to start?? (obviously buying all the other suspensions goodies, sways, SFC, LCA, PHB etc...)

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Bilstein/

I've been using these, no complaints at all
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by v7guy
http://www.unbalancedengineering.com/Camaro/Bilstein/

I've been using these, no complaints at all
You can certainly use those if you want to spend more on them than a full set of brand new Koni Doubles... and $550-650/set more than Koni Singles, both of which give you flexibility in tuning, and a warranty.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd
I was really hoping to find a reasonable set of coilovers for my 94 Trans that I am setting up as a beginner autoX car.

What do you think of the Bilstein/Eibach Shock and Spring set that SLP sells?? See link below if not familiar.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product_site.asp?P=70002

I have heard that you are the go to guy for making these cars corner... is that set a reasonable place to start?? (obviously buying all the other suspensions goodies, sways, SFC, LCA, PHB etc...)

Thanks!
No, I don't think that's the best idea. FWIW, I sell that kit too, if I have a customer hell bent on it. $620 gets you the same shocks and my springs, which I, and many who've had both will tell you are better handling...

I also do not think some of the things on your obvious list are things you should start with either. LCA's and SFC's are not required to make the car handle better. In some cased the wrong LCA's make it worse, same for some types of torque arms.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam, dont mean to steal the thread but, i have factory koni DAs that came from my 98 1le and the rears are shot. will koni warranty them?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can certainly use those if you want to spend more on them than a full set of brand new Koni Doubles... and $550-650/set more than Koni Singles, both of which give you flexibility in tuning, and a warranty.
I can't say my setup has changed too terribly much over the years. They were revalved a couple times until they were where I liked em and then that was that. Since they're user rebuildable there isn't much of any cost involved in doing so. They do what I need em to do and I've had em for a decade now. Couldn't be happier.
Personally, I'm not going to getting under the car all the time to change the settings on the shocks trying to constantly tweak it. I tend to get to a spot that works and then leave it alone. But that's just me. More power to the guys that put forth that effort, they're likely faster than me.

The OP wanted to know about a true coilover for the car, there they are. About 1100 for the pair and they're quality coilovers.

Quick Reply: F-Body Coilovers