Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help me out with suspension 99 z28

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me out with suspension 99 z28

i wanna know whats a cost effective suspension setup so i can get some grip with my z....i put it together and i been hearing from everyone that if it hooks one good time that my tranny tail shaft will break...the guy that owned it before took it draging but said he never knew what suspension work was done if any heres some info on car looking for a good setup...hear the stock shocks are junk so new shocks and possibly a sway bar is a start

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 automatic. Has 116,xxx miles but the engine has a fresh rebuild with under 500 miles. The ls1 was completely torn down and cleaned. has a new callies crankshaft but has eagle H beam rods with ARP bolts, and wisco forged pistons. Magic Stick 4 camshaft 650 lift, prc dual valve springs, ls7 lifters, high pressure oil pump, ported 241 heads. recently rebuilt 4l60, 4000stall yank ss torque converter. ceramic coated ory long tube headers, y pipe into bullet style muffler. weld pro star drag wheels on drag radials
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

I think its all word of mouth... I think some people just buy those torwue arms just to say they have one. Only suspension i got so far is kyb agx shocks for the rear and lower control arms i hooked on bfg g force drag radails with a 1.67 sixty foot. Im still on stock torque arm with no issues. And shocks and springs with 120000 miles

Now mystery bird is into the 1.5x with the stock tq arm. Guess its all luck
Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaxrider2005r
i wanna know whats a cost effective suspension setup so i can get some grip with my z....i put it together and i been hearing from everyone that if it hooks one good time that my tranny tail shaft will break...the guy that owned it before took it draging but said he never knew what suspension work was done if any heres some info on car looking for a good setup...hear the stock shocks are junk so new shocks and possibly a sway bar is a start

1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 automatic. Has 116,xxx miles but the engine has a fresh rebuild with under 500 miles. The ls1 was completely torn down and cleaned. has a new callies crankshaft but has eagle H beam rods with ARP bolts, and wisco forged pistons. Magic Stick 4 camshaft 650 lift, prc dual valve springs, ls7 lifters, high pressure oil pump, ported 241 heads. recently rebuilt 4l60, 4000stall yank ss torque converter. ceramic coated ory long tube headers, y pipe into bullet style muffler. weld pro star drag wheels on drag radials
The tail shaft issue is usually in the manual cars, because of how hard they shock the drivetrain when launching. But it wouldn't hurt for launching to relocate it.
As for the stock decarbon shocks, yes they are basically **** brand new and only get worse with miles, but because of this they make a decent drag shock (drag shocks are overly loose to allow weight transfer, and will ride and handle terrible because of this).
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 AM

yah on street driving car seems to kinda dart with small bumps so i figured it was shocks...it there a shock that can please me while driving along with drag??...or is it kinda one or the other...and for suspension parts just a relocator for my stock torque arm in fine??...how much difference does control arms do? and how about frame ties or shock tower braces are they needed at all or twisting isnt much of a factor....i just dont wanna buy stuff i dont need
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

ur best bet is to call sam strano at strano performance hes very straight forward with u
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Recently went the economical route on mine with KYB Gas Ajust. Amazing improvement and road feel. Don't forget the new top mounts up front. Got mine at half the price from Ricks Camaros. Next step is rear sway bar change.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

alright thanks for your input im gunna go with the kyb agx shocks for sure...then i guess ill go from there
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

If your really want to get the car to hook id really recommend getting the torque arm relocated off the tranny. The first time my car went to the track it ripped the mount right out of the shell holding it in place and my driveshaft loop prevented my driveshaft from coming thru the floor. I think its better safe than sorry and the parts aren't to expensive compared to having a new floor put in. That was on a 1.77 60ft time that was all stock suspension except for the ET slicks and it was all in great shape the car only had 45000 miles on it and never been raced before.

Last edited by My1st4thgen; 01-29-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Teching In

^ ha same here , if you do get a torque arm dont get the ones with the forward rod end they are noisy

Quick Reply: help me out with suspension 99 z28