LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Best front shocks for 2002 Trans Am? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1613549-best-front-shocks-2002-trans-am.html)

FormlessPersuasion 01-07-2013 10:35 PM

Best front shocks for 2002 Trans Am?

I'm looking to replace the worn out front shocks on my 2002 Trans Am. Which brand is arguably better in terms of handling and comfort. I live on a dirt road that is awfully littered with bumps and potholes. I remember riding in my cousin's Firebird once and it was smooth and quiet. lol I didn't even feel anything. I'd like to ride in my T/A like that.
One thing to keep in mind(and if it matters at all) is that I have Air Shocks in the back. Would the front shocks have to be adjustable in this case? Thanks in advance!

Blackpanther99 01-08-2013 05:16 PM

Well I cant say they are the best but I highly recommend Koni shocks :) I got them from BMR.

FormlessPersuasion 01-08-2013 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99 (Post 17041512)
Well I cant say they are the best but I highly recommend Koni shocks :) I got them from BMR.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out!

Furious1 01-08-2013 08:07 PM

Koni if you want the best, Bilstein if you want good/affordable.

RevGTO 01-08-2013 10:53 PM

Konis if handling is the top priority, Bilsteins if ride comfort is more important. And Bilsteins are about half the price.

FormlessPersuasion 01-09-2013 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Furious1 (Post 17042053)
Koni if you want the best, Bilstein if you want good/affordable.

I really want the best but I'm on a budget. lol

Originally Posted by RevGTO (Post 17042574)
Konis if handling is the top priority, Bilsteins if ride comfort is more important. And Bilsteins are about half the price.

Ah, but I want both? lol I might go with the Bilsteins if I don't wait but I really have my eyes on the Konis. I might wait and save up for the Konis.

Thank you all for the information and suggestions. :)

Blackpanther99 01-09-2013 04:08 PM

Konis are real good shocks. But yeah they are a bit pricey but great quality shocks. Seems like where you live the comfortness of the car will benefit you better :) I love the way my car feels with Koni shocks.

BMR Sales2 01-09-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RevGTO (Post 17042574)

I agree 100%

Since you are on a budget and looking the best shock for the money as far as handling and comfort goes I would look at the Bilsteins. They are budget friendly and one of the best daily driver shocks available. If you are looking for all out handling and your budget can take it the Koni shocks will be the shock that would work the best for you. It really just comes down to your budget and how important all out handling is for you.

Zlow28 01-09-2013 04:32 PM

How would a comfortable driven car differ from a good handling car?

I always figured a good handling car would equal a comfortable drive :confused:

I thought konis would be more comfortable than billsteins in the street; but now I might save up for billsteins instead

Sam Strano 01-09-2013 06:52 PM

Shocks are like everything else.... situation dependent.

I sell a lot more Bilstein than Koni because of price alone. Bilstien's work pretty well for most folks. Koni's work best for those who like the car to be the best it can. And the price is less than half for Bilstein vs. Koni. I've got Bilstein @ 379.99/set, Koni's starting at $899.99 a set (that's shipped too fwiw) but the most recommended set is actually $999.99 shipped.

Basically here's the deal: Take Koni's and run them full soft... you have a very similar setup to Bilstein. Most with Koni's don't choose the run them full soft. They certainly could if that's what they liked best, but that's not typically what the like best. Sure maybe someone here or there, in which case Bilstein's would have been fine, but that's so rare I can only think of maybe one guy who has preferred this. On the other hand you can't make the Bilstein's do anything more in terms of damping control, and make no mistake that most lowering springs in the long term will eventually overwhelm the Bilstein's. Might take a year, might take 3 depends on where/how/how much you drive.

I find a Koni car plenty comfortable, as do most. And "softer" shocks don't always ride better. Stock shocks have less control and ride pretty badly, and get worse as they age (and that makes them softer not stiffer).

Zlow28 01-09-2013 07:34 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Sam.

Sam Strano 01-09-2013 07:36 PM

Sure, I try.

FWIW, to the OP.... if you have air shocks in the back, Koni's in the front would be a big waste.... it'd be like a nice cam with crappy heads. If you are going to stay with cheap shocks like that (probably Gabriels or some such) then honestly, I'd probably put you on a set of like KYB GR2's. Notice you don't hear me say that often, or ever but the car is only as good as it's weakest link and if the rear shocks aren't great then great shocks are going to not match well in the front.

FormlessPersuasion 01-09-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano (Post 17044972)
Sure, I try.

FWIW, to the OP.... if you have air shocks in the back, Koni's in the front would be a big waste.... it'd be like a nice cam with crappy heads. If you are going to stay with cheap shocks like that (probably Gabriels or some such) then honestly, I'd probably put you on a set of like KYB GR2's. Notice you don't hear me say that often, or ever but the car is only as good as it's weakest link and if the rear shocks aren't great then great shocks are going to not match well in the front.

See that's what I was wondering. lol Thanks for the information! When I bought the car, it came with those shocks in the back so I haven't the idea of what they are. I'm a total noob when it comes to car parts but anyway, the car is so low in the front that it hits everywhere and now the front bumper has road rash! I had a mechanic look at it and he said the front shocks were worn.

And here I was thinking that air shocks were good. :rolleyes: haha Looks like I'm going to have to replace the back ones, too or just buy cheaper ones for the front and deal with it for now until I can save up enough money. :/
On second thought, I think the rear air shocks are more convenient for me since I can lift the car higher whenever I have my siblings ride with me...it seems I have to sacrifice something, either way. :|

Sam Strano 01-10-2013 11:27 AM

It's not low because the shocks are worn. I'm sure they suck, they did stock, but that's not your ride height issue... that's springs.

You don't have to compromise as much as you think. You could run a good set of shocks (though again I think you also have a spring issue) and then if you need more help with loads, run a less than $100 set of airbags inside the springs. Then you don't need to settle for a crappy shock to get more load support when you need it.