Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Big boy power and Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big boy power and Koni's

Anyone making anything north of 600whp and using Koni shocks on their car?

Right now the car has QA1s, KYBs, rear drag springs, rear drag sway bar, no front sway bar. The car hooks fine when the tires are warm. I am willing to sacrifice traction for handling. I love being able to rip a good turn and right now, he car doesn't handle it well. So here is what I am looking to throw in the car:

Strano springs and sway bars
Koni adjustable shocks

I know the car will handle a lot better (a look forward to that). But just wondering how people are doing with traction in this setup? Assume the rear tires are drag radials. Right now I have hoosier A6s on the car. But I will swapping them out for something a bit more street lasting. Probably a Nitto 555r.

Anyone?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm making a little over 500 with my 408 that I autocross. I use koni/strano set up. I currently have the nitto 555r on the rears. My first gear is worthless under full throttle. I can smoke 2nd also depending on surface. 3.42s in the rear. I'll be swapping to something with a thicker sidewall for this season. That's running the tire at around 27psi.

Hope it helps
Old 01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I went 10.78@129.55 with a 1.47 60ft with Koni SAs on all four corners with my 412.

You will not get an A6 or 555R to hook like that though with an M6. I used Hoosier QTPs to get that result. I also broke my Moser 12 bolt 3 times doing it. I have run 888Rs, V710s, MT DRs, 555Rs and none hooked like the QTPs at the strip. I run the strip, autocross and track days.

I will be making up wards of 600rwhp now and will still be on the Koni's if do not switch to the KWs.

This might be a useful thread too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...used-drag.html

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Excellent read, Rampant. Thank you! :-)

How do you feel about "tramline" effect with them? Still trying to figure out wtf that means... hahahaha

EDIT: What are the KW's? Better than the Koni's?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Excellent read, Rampant. Thank you! :-)

How do you feel about "tramline" effect with them? Still trying to figure out wtf that means... hahahaha

EDIT: What are the KW's? Better than the Koni's?
I went back and tried to find any mention of tramlining, not sure. if you have a link to the reference, post it.

I have an SRT8 as a DD and the KWs have a very good reputation with them, as do the Koni's. They are now available for the 4th Gen. Sam told me they are similar in performance to the Koni's, though significantly more money. I have had the Koni's since I bought them from Sam in 05-06. Was just thinking of trying something new.

I strongly suggest talking to Sam and buying from him. He will give good advise and before and after the purchase.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I went back and tried to find any mention of tramlining, not sure. if you have a link to the reference, post it.

I have an SRT8 as a DD and the KWs have a very good reputation with them, as do the Koni's. They are now available for the 4th Gen. Sam told me they are similar in performance to the Koni's, though significantly more money. I have had the Koni's since I bought them from Sam in 05-06. Was just thinking of trying something new.

I strongly suggest talking to Sam and buying from him. He will give good advise and before and after the purchase.
I did speak to Sam. He was crazy helpful. I am going with the Koni's, Strano sways and springs. He mentioned the car handling as good as a C6 Z06. :-) I can't wait to make that purchase.

The tramlining was me speaking to an owner of the Koni's. I'd rather not mention his name as we are not actual friends. He just brought that up to me.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant see how shocks could affect tramlining. I have been running koni das and the same bfg kds since I got the car in 01...it tramlined like crazy until I had the alignment set with the toe at 0. Since that day its been perfect.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Tramlining will have nothing to do with the shock. Only with the size tire you choose to run and your alignment specs.

Koni=awesome
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by STFU racing
Tramlining will have nothing to do with the shock. Only with the size tire you choose to run and your alignment specs.

Koni=awesome
Quoted for truth.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not an FBody but I'm right at 600 rwhp and have done 1.36 60' in my GTO with Koni Adjustables.

I would call Koni Racing and tell them exactly what it is you want and see what they say. They're very easy to talk to and even a custom setup is very reasonable.

Koni Racing - 859-586-4100 option 51

Quick Reply: Big boy power and Koni's