Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs and SA Koni's enough for the heavier 9" rear?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strano springs and SA Koni's enough for the heavier 9" rear?

After a few miles on the street with my 9 inch rear end, strano springs and Koni SA's it feels like the rear end moves around alot more than the old 10 bolt did. When it went in, I also installed founders trailing arms and everything has new poly bushings. Do I need a stiffer spring or maybe Dual adjustable Koni's to handle the extra heft of the 9 inch rear?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what panhard and sway bar do you have ?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

founders double adjustable and stock with the relocate kit required for the 9 inch rear... wouldn't think a bigger sway bar would keep the rear end from moving,,, it really just feels like the springs and shocks are not sufficient for the heavier rear.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

strano recomends going the Double adjustable to control the un-sprung weight from a bigger rear. but there are several people running SA and seem to be fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe I just need to crank up the rebound and possibly install some of those spring stiffener bags, Id like it to be a bit stiffer anyway.

thanks for the input
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end sway

I had a similar issue when going down the freeway my rear end felt like it was going side to side somewhat. Found the LCA's where they connected to the car had play and was like there should have been washers on each side of the LCA, so I did just that and it drove fine ever since. That was on my 10 bolt. I have a Currie 9" now going in this spring, have not decided on suspension but was going to go with the Strano springs and Bilstiens. Either way I would like to see what you come up with considering its a similar setup. Maybe for ***** you should make sure the alignment is dead on, dog tracking will do weird ****.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be fine with the shocks you have. I never suggest anyone install airbags in their springs on the F-body. Play around with your settings. They're very sensitive and I think that a single click may surprise you.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why no airbags in the springs? We have pretty crappy roads around here, lots of dips that like to send my new shiny rear end housing crashing into the bumpstops. I would really like for them to be slightly stiffer, seems that would make the dips easier to handle
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
maybe I just need to crank up the rebound and possibly install some of those spring stiffener bags, Id like it to be a bit stiffer anyway.

thanks for the input
Cranking up the rebound will do nothing to stop the heavier mass of the ear end from coming up uncontrollably on a bump.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Cranking up the rebound will do nothing to stop the heavier mass of the ear end from coming up uncontrollably on a bump.
I understand that, but without buying something else, upping the rebound rate is the only option I have. If that dosnt have any effect on the perceived movement I will try different springs and or DA konis.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
Why no airbags in the springs? We have pretty crappy roads around here, lots of dips that like to send my new shiny rear end housing crashing into the bumpstops. I would really like for them to be slightly stiffer, seems that would make the dips easier to handle
I don't like airbags in springs because I view them as a bandaid. You increase your spring rate, and you don't get the performance the spring was designed for. Sure, they can work, I just don't suggest them. Will they work for you? Possibly. Just throw a cheap set in at a low pressure to increase the rate like an artificial bumptop as the shock and spring travel toward their end of motion. Always do what's free first, IMO. So I would take advantage of the expensive adjustable socks first before buying new parts. If it works, cool. If it doesn't, just cost you some time, beer, and cussing.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe reinforce the panhard bar mount on the body.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strano springs and SA Koni's enough for the heavier 9" rear?