Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sloppy suspension, ideas?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sloppy suspension, ideas?

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 that's pushing 97,000 miles. My car's engine and transmission still pull strong with no issues, but the suspension feels very weak and sloppy.

It has the standard 16 inch wheels with Firestone Firehawk Indy500 wide oval tires.

My main issue is the car's steering is very slow and sluggish at speed over 70MPH. At speeds over 80MPH the car feels very unstable, bounces around a lot, kind of wobbles if I tilt the wheel even the slightest, the rear end has some sway in it. I don't know what the issue is.

The tires are properly inflated, the car is in alignment. I know the car is getting old and has high miles, what parts need to be changed out to get tight steering and a stable feeling car???
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ the minimum replace the shocks. and take it to an alingment shop to check your ball joints and tie rod ends. You might have to rebuild the front end and replace all of the control arm bushings, but then it would close to new. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
@ the minimum replace the shocks. and take it to an alingment shop to check your ball joints and tie rod ends. You might have to rebuild the front end and replace all of the control arm bushings, but then it would close to new. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Forgot to mention, I have replaced the shocks on this car at about 80,000 miles. I put some Bilstein shocks on all 4 of them, didn't notice much of an increase in anything.

Should I replace the inner or outer tie rods? Or both? Do ball joints affect the stability or steering much?

I really don't know what the control arms do, how instrumental are they in steering/stability?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoHope
I put some Bilstein shocks on all 4 of them, didn't notice much of an increase in anything.
You either didn't have factory shocks when you replaced them,

or you drive in a place where every road is perfect and you never do anything remotely taxing in terms of cornering...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MrBluGruv

or you drive in a place where every road is perfect and you never do anything remotely taxing in terms of cornering...
Nope, they were the stock decarbons alright, I remember them. Car felt no different after installing them, I was pretty disappointed. If anything I think the suspension feels rougher.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrBluGruv

...or everything else is so trashed new shocks is like trying to polish a turd. I know when I had a bad wheel bearing my 1le suspension w/ DA konis felt scary. Given the vintage and mileage I'd replace all rubber and see what you get.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
...or everything else is so trashed new shocks is like trying to polish a turd. I know when I had a bad wheel bearing my 1le suspension w/ DA konis felt scary. Given the vintage and mileage I'd replace all rubber and see what you get.
I thought if you had bad wheel bearings there would be a noise or certain signs to look for.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Going from stock to stock and just Bilstiens.. could be a lot of things left you want to improve. What you improved was roll control. Your roll rate will feel a lot better instead of it snapping from left to right. If just daily driving, maybe you don't even notice it?

Other things that can be improved:
-Sway bars will increase the roll resistance. If the car leans one way, the opposite end of the swaybar resists the roll depending on how stiff you get. Having stiffer swaybars will not hurt the ride quality by much since the springs will still absorb the even bumps. Uneven bumps you will notice more stiffness
-16x8 inch wheels roll over too much. These cars need at least a 17x9. This combo will still ride well and the shorter sidewall will increase steering response
-If you don't mind a slightly firmer ride, a good set of springs will turn the car into an animal combined with a good set of shocks. You can stick with stock springs though with the two above combined additions and your car will still feel much better.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Going from stock to stock and just Bilstiens.. could be a lot of things left you want to improve. What you improved was roll control. Your roll rate will feel a lot better instead of it snapping from left to right. If just daily driving, maybe you don't even notice it?

Other things that can be improved:
-Sway bars will increase the roll resistance. If the car leans one way, the opposite end of the swaybar resists the roll depending on how stiff you get. Having stiffer swaybars will not hurt the ride quality by much since the springs will still absorb the even bumps. Uneven bumps you will notice more stiffness
-16x8 inch wheels roll over too much. These cars need at least a 17x9. This combo will still ride well and the shorter sidewall will increase steering response
-If you don't mind a slightly firmer ride, a good set of springs will turn the car into an animal combined with a good set of shocks. You can stick with stock springs though with the two above combined additions and your car will still feel much better.
I was having the same idea on the wheels, thought the 17 inch SS wheels might help out a lot since it has a shorter side wall. Any idea where I can get a set of 4 for cheap? I see some aftermarket vendors selling SS replica wheels, are those ok for the car? No issues with them?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I got my 17x11 wheels all around from OE Wheels. They are dirt cheap and decent quality. They are pretty heavy though! So don't look to them if you are trying to save weight.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 that's pushing 97,000 miles. My car's engine and transmission still pull strong with no issues, but the suspension feels very weak and sloppy.

It has the standard 16 inch wheels with Firestone Firehawk Indy500 wide oval tires.

My main issue is the car's steering is very slow and sluggish at speed over 70MPH. At speeds over 80MPH the car feels very unstable, bounces around a lot, kind of wobbles if I tilt the wheel even the slightest, the rear end has some sway in it. I don't know what the issue is.

The tires are properly inflated, the car is in alignment. I know the car is getting old and has high miles, what parts need to be changed out to get tight steering and a stable feeling car???
When I first got my car with 51k on the clock, the suspension felt a little sloppy. I did one mod after another you can look at the mods in my garage.... the single best suspension mod I did was the koni 4/3 single adjustable shocks. they completely transformed how the car absorbs bumps and the stability on the highway is a huge increase. I tried bilsteins and while better than stock there werent like the konis. next best mod was the strano 35/22 sway bars. with those i could take a turn with a lot less lean then before. all the other suspension stuff i did was more of a compliment and made the car itself feel more solid.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
When I first got my car with 51k on the clock, the suspension felt a little sloppy. I did one mod after another you can look at the mods in my garage.... the single best suspension mod I did was the koni 4/3 single adjustable shocks. they completely transformed how the car absorbs bumps and the stability on the highway is a huge increase. I tried bilsteins and while better than stock there werent like the konis. next best mod was the strano 35/22 sway bars. with those i could take a turn with a lot less lean then before. all the other suspension stuff i did was more of a compliment and made the car itself feel more solid.
I have to agree with you Siciliano. The Koni's and Strano's springs and bars are amazing! Best money I have ever spent!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

I thought if you had bad wheel bearings there would be a noise or certain signs to look for.
Yeah it actually rattled, but konis rattle like a bastard anyway so it was not something I picked up on immediately...I wasnt saying you have a bad bearing, just that shocks are probably not your issue and there are still other things to check
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Yeah it actually rattled, but konis rattle like a bastard anyway so it was not something I picked up on immediately...I wasnt saying you have a bad bearing, just that shocks are probably not your issue and there are still other things to check
Koni's don't rattle. Unless yours were like broken or something. Maybe they made your car rattle more, but not the shocks. Or if you didn't install them correctly.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the great help! I think I'll get inner and outer tie rods done first and upgrade to 17 in wheels next.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Koni's don't rattle. Unless yours were like broken or something. Maybe they made your car rattle more, but not the shocks. Or if you didn't install them correctly.
How old are your konis...mine came on the car in 2001 and were installed by slp. They started rattling after about 50 miles. There were plenty of threads back in the day on the slp ss forum about the koni rattle on the 1le, which mine is. I even had them replaced under warranty and the new ones rattled too after a blissfully short and quieter break in. Maybe the konis these days dont rattle but they sure as hell used to.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

What caused the rattling in the older 1LE Konis?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sloppy suspension, ideas?