Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Control Arm Bushings and Ball Joints are IN!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, i got the bushings in and out right after i posted this, only thing is i ran into a problem...the Moog ball joints seemed to be a little bigger then the old ones, and when i pressed them in, it separated the control arm where the 2 pieces come together to form the ball joint hole. it deformed the control arm by at least a half an inch, is this normal for them to be bigger because of the splines in the new ball joints? My control arm in trash now, so i have to get a used one off ebay or something. i am just gonna pay someone to put the other one in with a press instead of using the ball joint tool.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ball joint tragedy.....I was concerned about that part.....and also when i got the passenger Lower a-arm off it looked a little bent....but after comparing the two I think it may have been made like that.

Long story short after I compared the cost of unpressing, cleaning and painting and re-pressing (with risk) I just went totally tubular (was like $150 more)....bushings are already in...everything is powdercoated....and it should bolt right in.....BMR has a complete upper and lower kit with everything included....and they gave me an extra discount when I called.

I'll post a pic when its in....right now those wells are just empty spaces.

PS.....you can have my arm if you want.....which one do you need? Its from an SS so it should be an upgrade for your T/A ;-)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need the drivers side, i will post the pics up later, but i was wondering why it was so freaking hard to press them in. Came right out no problem undamaged...
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know they are slightly oversized to help fit tightly in case of a worn ball joint bore, And mine were tight going in, but still.. ouch.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, i was actually able to come by one from someone at work, he did what you just did and switched to BMR LCA's up front. Thanks for the offer though. I am just gonna stick with the sock ball joints for now, unless they give me issues. I still changed the bushings though.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

This thread is an oldie but very informative. It helped me out a ton

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushings and Ball Joints are IN!!