Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni On or Off car addjustable for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni On or Off car addjustable for daily driver?

Hey all,
Looking to jump on board with this Koni/BMR sale, my '02 WS6 is my DD so I'm wondering if the on car adjustable's are worth it for me or if I'll be fine with Off car adjustables for the rears. I guess with the front I'm stuck with SA's. My car is bone stock suspension wise. Only performance mods are CAI and 3" Exhaust/Headers. My goal is for better handling first, then a smoother ride. I don't race, but I do take turns pretty quick and enjoy some spirited drives through the mountains of N. Georgia.

I plan on doing SFC's and Sway bars in the future. From there, I'm not sure if I'll upgrade the suspension more, or go towards speed.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4/3 and 4/4 are going to be the same performance wise. The 4/4 just offer the convenience of being able to adjust them without having to remove them from the car. It's a completely personal preference. If you think you're gonna switch them often then they might be a better deal for you. I'm personally gonna buy the 4/3 as I doubt ill be switching settings often.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Gotcha gotcha, do you DD your car, or are you just planning on dialing it in for one specific application?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
Gotcha gotcha, do you DD your car, or are you just planning on dialing it in for one specific application?
I don't have the koni setup yet. But it will be on a dd car. I'm just going to set it in a couple different settings, and when I find which one suits me best, I going to leave it there.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the diff between 4/3 and 4/4 is the rear shocks are on-car adjustable in the 4/4 package. Personally I would go with 4/3 since you will most likely not be adjusting them often and can save that money toward another suspension part. The front are what I like. Just make sure to install the adjustment window outward so you can stick an allen wrench in there and turn to adjust when needed.

Last edited by sscamaroburn02; 04-24-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
the diff between 4/3 and 4/4 is the rear shocks are on-car adjustable in the 4/4 package. Personally I would go with 4/3 since you will most likely not be adjusting them often and can save that money toward another suspension part. The front are what I like. Just make sure to install the adjustment window outward so you can stick an allen wrench in there are turn to adjust when needed.
I forgot to mention that, thanks for clearing it up. Only the rear changes. The front shocks are the same.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Since i just installed the koni 4/3 I personally wish i had went with the 4/4 cause in my opinion setting the rear shock was a complete pain in the tail. I have never seen it mentioned but you really need a bench vise to hold the shock still to adjust it. For the extra hundred i wish i would have bought the on the car adjust-ability.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the on car and haven't even adjusted them yet lol

The directions to adjust the rears suck and I never know when to stop turning the dial
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

I got 4/4s just so I could adjust them on the car... in 3 years I haven't adjusted them. but still, if I ever had to I could!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Another thing. The 3rd gen rears are monotube shocks and the 4th gens are twin tube. I'd rather have a monotube personally.

For more details do a monotube vs twin tube google. I don't have a good enough understanding to explain it much, but the idea I get is that the monotube is better geared toward a higher performance application.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Another thing. The 3rd gen rears are monotube shocks and the 4th gens are twin tube. I'd rather have a monotube personally.

For more details do a monotube vs twin tube google. I don't have a good enough understanding to explain it much, but the idea I get is that the monotube is better geared toward a higher performance application.
I also heard that the 3rd gen Koni's are beefier and recommended over 4th gen Koni's if you are going with a heavier rear. I went with 3rd gen's for this reason and the cost factor.

Quick Reply: Koni On or Off car addjustable for daily driver?