Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Somebody09
i'm sorry Zlow28... did you not learn conditional statements in K-12? or did you not get that far?
you don't even know what I'm referring to
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So the main topic here was to provide evidence that the springs were the reason that the ride height was too high. I think that basically has been shown. The rest of you guys are spawning off side arguments about nothing
Pretty much.

The Strano spring was the wrong height. Doesn't look like there's anything the OP can do for a refund. Hell, he might not even be able to sell it now, unless someone wants a stiffer, stock height spring.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, this thread as taken on a life of its own. Let me help get this back on track and clear some stuff up....

1. This thread is not another typical "BMR vs Strano" thread. This thread was made to help shed some light on an issue that very few people have encountered, which is having a 0" drop with Strano front springs. This also shows that just because Sam tells you the issue is not caused by his product, does not mean he is always right. Some people need to stop taking everything he says as scripture.

2. Why on earth should I have to cut a product that was specifically designed to lower in the first place? Yes, Sam claims he designed them more for performance than aesthetics but if you cannot guarantee at least half of the advertised drop( 0"- 1/8" in my case) then do not call them "lowering springs."

Here is were all the issues lie..
Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm sure it's not a spring thing... they are made in batches of 100-120 cars sets at a time and we know that most cars sit pretty level.
Originally Posted by Same Strano
The springs are made in batches of 240 at a time (that's 120 cars sets), on a CNC coiler from one continuous spool of wire. They are all checked for free length and then cycled. I just looked and in the last year I've sold 804 sets. This is not a spring issue.
Originally Posted by Same Strano
The springs are not defective. It's easy for you to say "just swap them". Each spring is cycled and each one is measured for length, and they are all the same. Always have been.
If they are all checked for proper length, then how did these pass length inspection? I get some many split through the cracks but Sam needs to open his eyes and realize there is always a possibility this could happen.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can't just take them back because they aren't defective.... I get it's maybe not low enough, but I think we might find that it's more related to Bilstein's than the springs
...just another quote showing that Sam would refuse to see that maybe, just maybe his spring were the issue.

I really hope Sam publicly gives a explanation for all of this. Either way I am shooting him an email regarding this and will be asking for a refund for the front springs as they are clearly "defective." I will keep you all posted! Oh, and will have some full stance pics later this week!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Did someone ever post what a perfect strano spring's length is? Just to compare it to yours....
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Coppertone
Did someone ever post what a perfect strano spring's length is? Just to compare it to yours....
No, but if someone has a pair of Strano springs laying around waiting to be install and could grab a height measurement that would be awesome!! Since both BMR and Strano springs are advertised as ~1.2" drops, common sense would be that both should be the same height uncompressed. Am I right??
Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
No, but if someone has a pair of Strano springs laying around waiting to be install and could grab a height measurement that would be awesome!! Since both BMR and Strano springs are advertised as ~1.2" drops, common sense would be that both should be the same height uncompressed. Am I right??
Similar, maybe, but not necessarily identical. The wire diameter, the winding diameter, material composition, and probably 10 other attributes I am not thinking of would have an impact on the height. I know the BMR's and Stranos are touted as being "identical", but they aren't. Very close, from what I have read, but not identical.

So, should two BMR springs be identical height? Yes. Should two Stranos be identical? Yes. Strano and BMR? No, not identical, but I would think fairly close.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

I really hope Sam publicly gives a explanation for all of this. Either way I am shooting him an email regarding this and will be asking for a refund for the front springs as they are clearly "defective." I will keep you all posted! Oh, and will have some full stance pics later this week!
I'd call him. Curious to see what happens
Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Similar, maybe, but not necessarily identical. The wire diameter, the winding diameter, material composition, and probably 10 other attributes I am not thinking of would have an impact on the height. I know the BMR's and Stranos are touted as being "identical", but they aren't. Very close, from what I have read, but not identical.

So, should two BMR springs be identical height? Yes. Should two Stranos be identical? Yes. Strano and BMR? No, not identical, but I would think fairly close.
^ good point, I didn't really did think of that. I would just think that two springs (diff brands) with the damn near the same rate and same advertised drop (1.2") would not have a +1" difference in height between them.

Does anyone have Strano springs laying around waiting to be installed? I'm curious as to how they compare to mine.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed mine on my shocks a couple weeks ago, and installed them in my car this weekend. I just measured:

Rear left 27"
Rear right 26.5"
Front left 27.5"
Front right 27"

Typical lean to the right, no surprise there. The front is a tad higher than the rear, however my car is a V6 so the weight difference may be the reason. I also replaced all bushings and ball joints, and haven't had the front aligned yet, so the numbers may change slightly after that is done. I don't think it'll change much.

The rear looks perfect. I'd prefer the front to be a tad lower but I was fully expecting it to not drop as much being a V6 and all.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if Strano sells different size springs for different cars, and maybe you got the wrong size from Strano, maybe they were marked wrong in the box. Or Strano rcvd the wrong size from manufacturer since vogtland makes tons of different sizes for all types of cars. Either way, you got a stock height spring, the one you'd buy if you wanted a better riding yet stock height.

If you paid with a credit card, you have buyer protections on there. Call the credit card company and find out how to return product (with delivery confirmation) and get refund on your card, then it is up to your credit card company to get their funds back. I've done that before.

If you paid with paypal, you also have protection there too. File a claim, submit your pics and proof that car did not lower with those springs, Paypal reviews and almost always chooses the buyers over the sellers.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Launching!

I recently measured my car after having installed Strano's and my measurements are 26.5" in the back, 26.75" in the front. Level left and right. I always thought the car sat a bit high in front even from factory. The difference is not much, but enough to make me get BMR lowering A arms pretty soon. Still, I might not have got the full 1.2" drop in front from the springs. It was so rediculously high factory. Here is stock hight:

after:

Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
Your an idiot, NO ONE on this forum will spend 200+ bucks on something
that they unknowingly would have to modify.

You buy parts to do something for your look and to perform!

Not have to be hacked up to be what you wanted in the first place.

"a lot of drama" wtf!

He didnt get what he paid for! The old bait and switch by a
"expert".

No one should have to go thru what he did over 200 bucks.

Bullshit. Stand behind the stuff u sell and don't jerk ppl around Sam.
....****.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you should pm Sam directly with what you found on your springs, he's likely steering clear of this thread. At least give him a chance to speak in a private setting.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Launching!

get this...

with this
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have put so many different sets of springs on F-bodys that I can say I will 100% vouch for Hotchkis, BMR, Strano, H&R, and old school DMS springs. I do find the OP's situation interesting. I would have thought Sam would send him another set of springs so he could test what went wrong with the set that the OP got.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking at my pair of brand new strano springs that were purchased a couple years ago they look completely different than the white spring you were measuring. also my spring measures closer to the red spring. my strano springs have the strano name printed on them and some numbers as well. did yours have this and it has since worn off or?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
looking at my pair of brand new strano springs that were purchased a couple years ago they look completely different than the white spring you were measuring. also my spring measures closer to the red spring. my strano springs have the strano name printed on them and some numbers as well. did yours have this and it has since worn off or?
Hm, I don't think mine had any printing on them anywhere. Pics?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have Strano springs laying around waiting to be installed? I'm curious as to how they compare to mine.
I do, I'll take some measurements tomorrow for you guys
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
get this...

with this
That's a damn nice looking stance man!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Hm, I don't think mine had any printing on them anywhere. Pics?
I noticed that too. There are a few pics online that have Strano printed on the actual springs. Mine has nothing on them...

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
I do, I'll take some measurements tomorrow for you guys
Appreciated it man! My guess is that it will be somewhere close to the 11" mark. Mine were just north of 12"

Quick Reply: RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!