Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the OP drive the car to settle the springs before measuring?

Just because a spring is taller not installed means nothing, spring rate and weight of the car sitting on the springs determines ride height.

Sam is a no bullshit dude, he doesn't have time to pet you to buy his parts. His parts works plain and simple, he develops parts for these cars to be USED... not to be put in a car show. If you want the car to "sit" a certain way, buy cheap *** springs.

No car will sit "square" ......production tolerances and many other variables determine this, no two cars are exactly alike.

Sam will continue to get my business because he has a proven product for what my car is actually used for, trackdays.

There is a reason he stays covered up, he is a one man band with a wealth of knowledge and parts that work in a race environment.

Want "stance"? Call JDM or some other ricer joint, want your car to turn, call Sam.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disregard the heater hose, not sure why the PO did that on the front springs lol:

So a little under 11 3/4" at the tallest point.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a pic I found when I installed mine. They are quite a bit shorter. I never actually measured them though
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there you go. A quality control mistake (it happens) but a supplier unwilling to at least swap out a part on good faith. I don't have an issue with the former but the latter will cost some sales I'm sure.

For example, I have a brake set on my '69 and the bearings on one side failed recently with 8000 miles on them. Called up the supplier and told them what happened and that I needed a new spindle, rotor, and bearings to make the repair. Also mentioned that I might want another set of bearings to change out the other side just in case. Two days later on my door step were TWO new spindles, TWO new rotors, TWO sets of bearings, and a full set of brake pads all along with a paid shipping label to send back the bad parts so they could inspect them.

I realize that not every small business can afford that type of service, but if 800 sets of springs have been sold surely it could afford to eat one set. You can at least do like Amazon and send out a replacement with authorization to charge again if the returnable part is not received by them.

Last edited by SSellers; 05-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

From what it looked like to me, the OP had waited a long time for the springs to settle. I'd say he had things installed correctly. I'm guessing it's possible he got a bad batch together... really low probability of that, but I'm sure it's possible. That was about an inch higher than the average drop for strano springs.

This being said, I still would not hesitate to recommend Strano springs to anyone. They are still the best out there and I think this could happen with any spring. Except in most cases the springs drop too low.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

Just because a spring is taller not installed means nothing, spring rate and weight of the car sitting on the springs determines ride height.

Sam is a no bullshit dude, he doesn't have time to pet you to buy his parts. His parts works plain and simple, he develops parts for these cars to be USED... not to be put in a car show. If you want the car to "sit" a certain way, buy cheap *** springs.

No car will sit "square" ......production tolerances and many other variables determine this, no two cars are exactly alike.

Sam will continue to get my business because he has a proven product for what my car is actually used for, trackdays.

There is a reason he stays covered up, he is a one man band with a wealth of knowledge and parts that work in a race environment.

Want "stance"? Call JDM or some other ricer joint, want your car to turn, call Sam.
You do realize the BMR springs are 550lbs springs as well. There shouldn't be any difference between the two in how they handle - it isn't magic - it's physics.

Now, quality might be different and over time one might sag or whatever, but the Strano springs certainly are taller, even when compressed and that seems suspect to me as a QC issue. If anything, the BMR springs will end up lower once everything settles, since the Stranos have been on the car for a while.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

What you have posted just does not make sense. The spring is taller. No settling time will make it shorter, basic high school physics. The guy did not stood up to help the OP and has said nothing about what happened. The guy has a quality control issue but he just chooses to deny it and attack his customer. You are the prototype who gets all starry eyed and impressed when he starts with all his yada-yada. Good for you. If things turn out as I suspect hurry up and but all his products, these type of customer service can only go so far. Funny how you just repeat everything he says instead of thinking....a little.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSellers
So there you go. A quality control mistake (it happens) but a supplier unwilling to at least swap out a part on good faith. I don't have an issue with the former but the latter will cost some sales I'm sure.

For example, I have a brake set on my '69 and the bearings on one side failed recently with 8000 miles on them. Called up the supplier and told them what happened and that I needed a new spindle, rotor, and bearings to make the repair. Also mentioned that I might want another set of bearings to change out the other side just in case. Two days later on my door step were TWO new spindles, TWO new rotors, TWO sets of bearings, and a full set of brake pads all along with a paid shipping label to send back the bad parts so they could inspect them.

I realize that not every small business can afford that type of service, but if 800 sets of springs have been sold surely it could afford to eat one set. You can at least do like Amazon and send out a replacement with authorization to charge again if the returnable part is not received by them.
Exactly what i said earlier. A quality control issue. What I don't get is why risk your business when all he just needed to do was help the guy out, a little damage control was all there was needed.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
get this...

with this
Wow that looks beautiful! What are all of those pieces?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Funny the Strano nutswingers get SO upset with any disagreements towards him and his products. He must hire these guys to defend his internet reputation.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Funny the Strano nutswingers get SO upset with any disagreements towards him and his products. He must hire these guys to defend his internet reputation.
Thought has crossed my mind also. I have been pointing this guy out for some years now and the nutswingers loved to trash me around, even he personally; that is why Im waiting on any explanation to what appears to be quality control issues. Strano should excuse himself for the way he treated the OP.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chaman
Thought has crossed my mind also. I have been pointing this guy out for some years now and the nutswingers loved to trash me around, even he personally; that is why Im waiting on any explanation to what appears to be quality control issues. Strano should excuse himself for the way he treated the OP.
Agreed isn't he a pretty much stock car few with few mods? Maybe that is his customer base. Then so be it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it may be reactionary because you're always on the offense against him. You don't come across as someone trying to help, but rather as someone with an axe to grind, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Maybe you need to just chill out a bit because let's be honest, you aren't helping anything.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I think it may be reactionary because you're always on the offense against him. You don't come across as someone trying to help, but rather as someone with an axe to grind, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Maybe you need to just chill out a bit because let's be honest, you aren't helping anything.
I have my reasons and they do not concern you and I wont bother to explain them to you, just know that at one time the guy you are trying so desperately to defend brought that arrogant attitude to me when I questioned him. The same attitude that now is biting him in the ***. In the previous thread I was one of the first who told the OP to consider BMR and compare his results. I like to think that my input helped the OP in his decision. If Strano has something to say let him say it and stop the butt kissing. He is not a victim, he cause all this himself.

I help a lot of guys here most of them by PM (in fact some were actually telling me how they have experience problems with these springs), I just dont start a thread about it or ask guys to start threads to worship me....like Strano. If that "rubs' you the wrong way, could care less. I didnt saw you talking **** when the nutswingers loved to attack the few who dared question him....go play the hero someplace else.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad I bought BMR the first time, no issues whatsoever
Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not "desperately trying to defend" anyone or trying to play a hero. Hardly. I am however just rather irritated by your constant attacks, regardless of whether he deserves it or not, and how you automatically rip into anyone who doesn't follow your lead of shredding him.

Like I said, just chill out and stop with the drama.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I am not "desperately trying to defend" anyone or trying to play a hero. Hardly. I am however just rather irritated by your constant attacks, regardless of whether he deserves it or not, and how you automatically rip into anyone who doesn't follow your lead of shredding him.

Like I said, just chill out and stop with the drama.
I decide when to chill out...if you do not like the "drama" you can click another thread. You are just another hurt fanboy.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Glad I bought BMR the first time, no issues whatsoever
Your avatar is awesome!!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HoLLo
too many ppl drinkin the koolade

agreed

I decide when to chill out...if you do not like the "drama" you can click another thread. You are just another hurt fanboy.
second

Quick Reply: RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!