Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Exclamation RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!

What's up everyone!

So, for those of you that did not get a change to read or comment on my previous thread. (now locked) Here is a quick run down.

Original thread: Strano Springs ride height?

I bought/installed the Bilstein/Strano combo back in August of last year and the fronts end up staying the same height as it was before the install. (stock springs/DeCarbons) I listened to Sam and gave it time for everything to settle in. About 5 months and nearly 2500 miles later, the fronts still did not budge. (pics in original thread) Sam gave me the same song and dance about how not all cars sit the same height, end links maybe too tight, yadda yadda yadda. So I took everything apart and reinstalled it. I ended up with the same results. (fronts: 27 3/8" - 27.5")

Sam insisted that his springs were not the issue due to how they are manufactured in bulk and checked before sending out. After ruling out ALL other possibilities, he still would not let me swap for a new set to see if the springs are in fact the issue. He said he only excepts returns if the product is "defective" and the only think he could do for me is sell me a different brand of springs for cost + shipping. I was basically told to deal with it or buy something else from him. Shitty customer service if you ask me.

So after being turned off by Sam's lack of customer service/ willingness to help someone with a rare issue and help someone who helped support him, I bought BMR front springs!

Well here is what I found!!

(right before removing)

...it was blatantly obvious what the issue was!

BMR springs installed and pictures taken immediately after lowering the car.

DS: 26.5"

PS: 26.5"

HEY LOOK THE CAR IS LOWER!

So there you go! The BMR springs were nearly 1" shorter than the Stranos uncompressed! This clearly shows that the Stranos were the issue in this case. Now if both are advertised as a 1.2" drop (based off a compressed stock spring) shouldn't they both be the same height? Does this not fall under the category of "defective" for the Strano springs???! Can you say refund and loss of future customer!?

Sam.....??

BMR= FTW!
The following 2 users liked this post by Camarokid327:
30th t/a (12-28-2022), Knightmare1981 (03-15-2022)
Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why didn't you just deal with the 'height problem' by cutting a 1/4 coil off the Strano springs (like I did) instead of spending more money on another set of springs from someone else? You obviously can take apart the front end, but cutting springs is to hard? And cutting a 1/4 coil off isn't going to change the spring rate or ride. A lot of drama for an inch of height.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Why didn't you just deal with the 'height problem' by cutting a 1/4 coil off the Strano springs (like I did) instead of spending more money on another set of springs from someone else? You obviously can take apart the front end, but cutting springs is to hard? And cutting a 1/4 coil off isn't going to change the spring rate or ride. A lot of drama for an inch of height.
A customer should not have to "deal with" a lowering spring that did not lower the car. He paid for a ~1.2" drop, and he should have gotten it.
The following users liked this post:
30th t/a (12-28-2022)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats ******* stupid. Cutting it? Why? In this case a really good business man would have sent the man a new set of springs to help the issue. A lot of drama? Of course!! Why am I supposed to cut the springs when they were supposed to lower the front end. Apparently some will lower it and others dont and that is evidence of a deficient quality control.

This clearly shows that BMR springs are not a copy of Strano's ones. It was a bullshit story of an arrogant business man with no business ethics.

OP...looks awesome! I damn new it!! With that evidence you should push the issue and demand your money back and do what it takes, legal even, to get this straight. Others with this same issue should do the same. In the end you didnt get what you pay for....get your money back.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Coppertone
He paid for a ~1.2" drop, and he should have gotten it.
True. But the 'fix' was easy. Like I said before, there was a lot of drama (and butthurt feelings) in that locked thread that didn't need to include anyone other then the OP and Sam, which at first it did (email, phone)...but hey, thank god for the internet where people can air their differences and suck in so many other people that have nothing to do with it... me included.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chaman
Thats ******* stupid. Cutting it? Why? In this case a really good business man would have sent the man a new set of springs to help the issue. A lot of drama? Of course!! Why am I supposed to cut the springs when they were supposed to lower the front end. Apparently some will lower it and others dont and that is evidence of a deficient quality control.

This clearly shows that BMR springs are not a copy of Strano's ones. It was a bullshit story of an arrogant business man with no business ethics.

OP...looks awesome! I damn new it!! With that evidence you should push the issue and demand your money back and do what it takes, legal even, to get this straight. Others with this same issue should do the same. In the end you didnt get what you pay for....get your money back.
Oh good, look who showed up.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

True. But the 'fix' was easy. Like I said before, there was a lot of drama (and butthurt feelings) in that locked thread that didn't need to include anyone other then the OP and Sam, which at first it did (email, phone)...but hey, thank god for the internet where people can air their differences and suck in so many other people that have nothing to do with it... me included.
The fix is stupid and unnecessary, also it is probable that this would have affected ride quality. It is easy for you to say that since it wasnt you. On top of that the "customer service" from this guy relies on humiliating the customer plus an arrogant attitude mixed with a lot of technical mumbo jumbo with the intention of not doing anything to blame you of the shitty quality control of his product.

Last edited by chaman; 05-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh good, look who showed up.
LOL!! Im glad that you can now enjoy your car exactly as you wanted...and payed for.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have done the same thing as the OP just to show I wasn't wrong. I was following that thread and waiting for the results. I have ordered things from Sam and even stuck up for him in the past, but after all this I'll be looking for any suspension upgrades elsewhere.

Threads like this and the other are a good thing as long as it doesn't go over the top with bashing etc. It's lets people know what company's and their owners are made of.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Threads like this and the other are a good thing as long as it doesn't go over the top with bashing etc. It's lets people know what company's and their owners are made of.
Forums are a blessing and a curse.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

^^ Amen.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This shall never end.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chaman
LOL!! Im glad that you can now enjoy your car exactly as you wanted...and payed for.
I only have exprience with one fbody and that's mine. I don't know any other fbody owners to compare cars with, driving or otherwise. I'd love to drive someone elses car(s) to compare driving, handling, bumps, thuds, creeks and groans, etc. If the Op feels he was wronged then he did what he thought he needed to do. I'm impatient. I wouldn't have gone through the trouble to get another set of springs when I have a set in my hands that I can make a small change to and get my car back on the road. Yes, I cut a 1/4 coil off my front Strano springs. My cars been on the road (and tracked twice), with these springs for, 5/6 years now, without any trouble. That's how I dealt with it, instead of dragging it out on a public forum...but that's me. I just don't think it's that big of a deal...
Old 05-04-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh NOW people agree with me and Sam's bad attitude. I made the mistake of buying from him once, and when I called to ask a VERY simple question about KONI shock adjustment, I was speaking with someone who appeared to not give two ***** I just supported him, his business, and his family. I'm not the only one who agrees with this. Not another dime will go to him.

Glad you got what you wanted OP, unfortunately it had to end up the way it did. I followed that thread. I'm running Hotchkis springs with KONI shocks, which have a very similar stance as BMRs and (most) Strano setups. They are a more tightly wound progressive spring, though, but I'm very happy with the ride and appearance.

Your car has a very nice stance now.. Let's see some far away pics.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I can't want to see stranos answer
Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

in for the fights lol
But seriously cutting the spring would have been and easy fix... It should have never come to that. The spring should have dropped the car and didn't, the manufacturer should have replaced the springs with springs that would have dropped the car or refunded the money since they could not make a product that did as advertised. Why would anyone cut a brand new spring?? might as well have saved the money and cut your stockers if your cutting springs anyway just to get the height you want.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
in for the fights lol
But seriously cutting the spring would have been and easy fix... It should have never come to that. The spring should have dropped the car and didn't, the manufacturer should have replaced the springs with springs that would have dropped the car or refunded the money since they could not make a product that did as advertised. Why would anyone cut a brand new spring?? might as well have saved the money and cut your stockers if your cutting springs anyway just to get the height you want.
More to it than just ride height. Spring rates and stuff come into play also. Shorter springs without a higher rate to make up for the lesser travel can cause issues. Don't be a ricer and chop stock springs for the "cool look" - it is doing it wrong
Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome job comparing springs. good to see that the problem was found.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Your car looks great OP! Im curious to see what Sam's response will be.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Nice, thanks for the thread. Now I know what spring I need to achieve my goals.

Quick Reply: RESULTS: BMR vs Strano ride height!