Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ride height and tires rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Ride height and tires rubbing

I have 17x11 ZR1s on my camaro with 315 Nitto NT05Rs on the back and its rubbing my fenders. I have the fenders rolled to the max and its still rubbing. Should i change my ride height, never had a problem with a 315 tire but these are rubbing. I currently have 1.25" drop springs on the car and some bs shocks. Not sure if i should change out the shocks or just the springs (most likely both)? What would you guys recommend for spring replacement, i have heard of v6 springs or stock cut a little.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While raising the ride height works for some people, I personally don't like to use that as a solution. I believe that clearance should be made and that can be done various ways.

So its rubbing on your outer fenders and not your inner fenders? Is it rubbing on both the driver and passenger or just one side? What offset wheels do you have? The 50mm offset or the 36mm offset (50mm is more common, but there are some 36mm wheels out there for zr1 styles).

Reason why I don't like changing ride height as a solution is that no matter what spring you use.. stock or aftermarket, you're full compressoin travel is defined by your bumpstops. And you WILL most likely hit them or get on them no matter what spring you have.

I'll guess what kind of responses will follow this... "I raised my car up and never hit my bumpstops". That person either doesn't drive their car very hard or is hitting their bumpstops and doesn't know it.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a great response. I changed my bumpstops out 5 years ago and they could be going bad or all the way eaten up, I'll check later on.

It is rubbing on the outer fender btw.

not sure on the offset, they are oe wheels, most likely the 50s. I have ran the 555Rs and Hoosiers in the 315 with no problems though. I cant here it rubbing i just know they are due to the rub marks on the brand new tires.

I'd still like to know what someone has to say about cutting the stock springs a little or the v6 springs?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it rubbing on the outer fender on driver side, passenger side, or both?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both sides
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm guessing those Nittos are "big" 315s? I've got 50mm ZR1s with crappy 315 Sumitomos. Mine rubbed the inside well when I first got them. So I bought 1/4" spacers to move them out. I rolled the fenders, but they will rub with people in the rear seat. And my fender to ground measurement with Strano/hose mod is 26 1/2".
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure what my measurements are right now, I have my Draglites in it now. These are wider than any other 315 I've owned. I had the non DR version and they never rubbed.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar issue. Still had the crappy stock shocks on stock springs -- replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and problem solved. No other adjustments were required. Not saying this is definitely the solution for your problem, however it's a possibility.

Quick Reply: Ride height and tires rubbing