Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs/Lowering Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs/Lowering Question

So right now my 99' T/A is mostly stock, but in about a month or so i want to put some aftermarket springs on, either stranos or eibach (havent decided yet), and some 19" rims. I dont want the car too low, i was thinking 1 1/2" would be enough.

Yesterday i ran into this guy yesterday with a 4th gen camaro and we started talking, and he said i should just keep it stock because im taking a risk of breaking the "scrape shield/air pusher?" with the car that low.

(Sorry newb moment here, im talking about the part under the engine compartment that looks like a small flat plastic shield..i dont know what its called. i was told it was a "scrape shield" to let you know how close you are to the ground since F bodies have an unusually long front end. Then this guy is saying that part is used for pushing the air upward into the engine bay and if it breaks the engine will start to overheat.)

Anyway is this guy being to paranoid, or is 1 1/2" too low? the way the stock height is now i can put my fist in the space between the top of my tire and the wheel well, so i really dont think its that serious. Anybody with springs have any thoughts on this.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Launching!

It won't break but you will hear it scrape more. This is a better question for the suspension or wheels section. You might have an issue with rubbing the wheel wells with lowering it on 19s but I'm not sure.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont get the eibach. then you will have problems scraping everything like i did and it will ride like junk, there to soft and are known to sag over time

get BMR or stranos and you will be fine.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This^ Stranos or BMRs!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

That's called the air dam and it is pretty important. It pushes air into the radiator. You can lower the car if you want to, but be prepared to spend more money than it first appears. You'll need an alignment and adjustable panhard bar, and then watch out for speed bumps and steep driveways.

Quick Reply: Springs/Lowering Question