Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

4 piston in the front 1 piston in the rear, is this an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 piston in the front 1 piston in the rear, is this an issue?

Hey guys I am slowly converting my car to an ls, I have been waiting on the right deal to come my way but I thought this site would be a good resource to help with my journey to obtain the goals for my car. I recently came across a set of 2010 f body rotors and calipers that I intend to use on my gen 1 f body. After some research I discovered flynbye.com and got some good insight on what my options were. I can run the brembos all around but I will not have a parking brake, seeing that my car is a manual right now that wont work. My next option according to flynbye was to use the brembos in the front and use ls brakes in the rear. My car is a 69 camaro and currently has disc front and drum rear, both are stock set ups. I guess my question is can I run the 4 piston brembos in the front and use the ls style one pistons in the rear without any issues because of the differences in pressure, how will my offset change, and Do I need some type of bracket for the rear or do they just bolt on? I saw the sticky in the front and some of the other threads but none really elaborated on gen 1 f body conversions. Thanks in advance guys I appreciate any and all help and direction.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Are you posting on a mobile device? I saw your post in the CTS-V brake thread, which similarly had a lack of carriage returns.

There aren't any 2010 f-body rotors. I assume you mean 2010 camaro brakes. Lots of people use fixed 4 piston fronts, with floating single piston rears. You'll need a proportioning valve to tune the brakes, so the rears don't lock up.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Are you posting on a mobile device? I saw your post in the CTS-V brake thread, which similarly had a lack of carriage returns.

There aren't any 2010 f-body rotors. I assume you mean 2010 camaro brakes. Lots of people use fixed 4 piston fronts, with floating single piston rears. You'll need a proportioning valve to tune the brakes, so the rears don't lock up.

No Im not posting from a mobile device but what are carriage returns? I have never heard that term before. Yeah I posted in the ctsv thread but did'nt see a response. I meant the 2010 camaro rotors and calipers I am sorry of that was not clear. So the proportionate valve change will make them work together, thats good to know. Do I need a bracket to make the single piston work on my car in the rear or will they bolt up to the drum hub? Thank you very much, I just have one more question how will my offset change? Would certain vette wheels or camaro wheels fit my car? Thank you very much.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carriage returns is a term from typewriter days.

Looks like lees02WS6 meant that you type without using 'Enter' key on the keyboard to separate paragraphs.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

It'll work. You may not end up with ideal brake bias, but that will most likely be the case with whatever you decide to do. You can throw it on there with a proportioning valve and adjust that until you get the shortest stop distances using something like a g-tech to record your stopping distances.

Quick Reply: 4 piston in the front 1 piston in the rear, is this an issue?